Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Load data for nosler 170 solid base 30/06

  1. #1

    Load data for nosler 170 solid base 30/06


    Folks,

    anyone got got load day for these bullets with varget powder?

    regards,
    ​gixer

  2. #2
    Hi Gixer no load data for the 170s but here is what iv got for the 165s it will put you in the ballpark. I think that varget is to fast a burn rate for these to get the best out of them heres what the book says.
    imr 4350 55 imn 59 max
    h414 54 min 58 max.
    RL 19 56.5 min 60.5 max.
    N160 56 min 60 max.
    aa3100 57 min 61 max.
    h4831 58.5 min 62.5 max
    most accurate being h4831 at 62.5gr for 2918fps out of a 24" barrel
    i hope this helps these were taken from the complete reloading manual.

    remember to back off 1.5 gr for the 170s
    i shoot a 30/06 myself and love it my pet load is 150gr hornady btsp on 54gr h414 shoots sub 1/2" in my sauer 202.
    Last edited by nigdonn; 07-10-2013 at 08:42.

  3. #3
    Thank you sir! Most appreciated!

    i will give it a try but would still like to get the nosler data if anyone has it.

    Regards,
    Gixer

  4. #4
    Hi gixer this is nosler data but for the 165s it should get you there with some small ajustments that you will be making anyway to find the sweat spot in your rifle.
    what rifle are you using? and what for?.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nigdonn View Post
    Hi gixer this is nosler data but for the 165s it should get you there with some small ajustments that you will be making anyway to find the sweat spot in your rifle.
    what rifle are you using? and what for?.
    The correct way to do it is to take the data for the next heavier bullet, not guess into adjustments down from data for a lighter bullet. This is a basic rule for reloading. In this case, data for the 175 grain and 180 grain would be the appropriate starting point. ~Muir

  6. #6
    Hi Gixer here is the nosler data for the 180 gr solid base bullets
    h414 53.5 min 57.5 max
    imr4350 52.5 min 56.5 max
    RL22 58 MIN 62 MAX
    H4831SC 56.0 MIN 60 MAX
    AA 3100 57 min 61 max
    N165 59 min 63 max

    I hope this helps you gixer to find a starting point keep us posted how you get on.

    regards nigdonn.

  7. #7
    Thanks folks, is there any data for varget or should I get a some more powder? The rifle is a Tikka T3..

    Regards,
    ​Gixer

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    is there any data for varget or should I get a some more powder?
    Lee manual gives the following Varget loads for 30-06:

    168 grain jacketed bullet start 47.0gn, never exceed 50.5gn, 59040 psi. Min OAL 3.230"

    180 grain jacketed bullet start 44.0gn, never exceed 47.0gn, 60000 psi. Min OAL 3.300"

    From velocity data Varget seems to be suitable for 168gn bullets, less so for the 180.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Lee manual gives the following Varget loads for 30-06:

    168 grain jacketed bullet start 47.0gn, never exceed 50.5gn, 59040 psi. Min OAL 3.230"

    180 grain jacketed bullet start 44.0gn, never exceed 47.0gn, 60000 psi. Min OAL 3.300"

    From velocity data Varget seems to be suitable for 168gn bullets, less so for the 180.
    thanks, much appreciated.

  10. #10
    The Lee dipper load for the 168gn bullet is 3.4cc which is 46.5gns of Varget. That would seem a conservative place to start.

Similar Threads

  1. Load data for Nosler BT
    By Topstalker in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 07:05
  2. Nosler 7mm 120gr Solid Base
    By bk in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 11:30
  3. 30 06 Load Data
    By Redneck in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-01-2011, 11:18
  4. nosler manual data - 25-06 n160
    By Offroad Gary in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-11-2010, 08:39
  5. .30-06 165-170 gr bullets
    By swampy in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-04-2008, 11:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •