Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead free bullets

Lead free bullets

Evening all
    I am interested in people's experiences with lead free bullets, in particular for use in a .222, .243 and.308 if you have experience please share.
    Thanks Martin
    Last edited by Home Loader; 02-10-2013 at 20:31.

I have used lead free barnes bullets in 22/250, 308 and 7mm rm. excellent experiences all round. Minimal meat damage, good penetration and very quick kills. Use a weight lighter than your usual bullet and don't be afraid to push them hard and fast. Others experiences may differ but I have had no problems getting them to shoot well.

Haven't used them in the cals you are asking about but used them in my 270. The Barnes copper bullets were by far the most accurate. They hit hard and dump all their energy into the beast whilst retaining they're full weight, often found fired bullets lying on the ground no more than a metere behind the beast

Al

Thank you folks I will be trying some Barnes TTSX, it's interesting that so far their has been no negatives as I have been speaking to as many people as I can about them and their are two camps the lovers and the loathers!

Tried both weights of barnes varmint grenades and 40 grain Nosler lead free BT's in my 222 but they didn't work at all. I think the varmint grenades need 1 in 9 twist or faster and the Noslers need 1 in 12 twist or faster. I think standard 222 's are 1 in 14 twist.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Home Loader View Post
    Thank you folks I will be trying some Barnes TTSX, it's interesting that so far their has been no negatives as I have been speaking to as many people as I can about them and their are two camps the lovers and the loathers!
    The loathers generally haven't used them, are too tight to buy them or have not matched the bullet to the task.

Well said!

They work

They're accurate

They cost a whole pound.....

Against a carcass worth 40 - 200 quid, ,,,,,,dependant on animal size

Like srvet said you need to use a bullet lighter then your usual lead cored projectile, using a bullet of the same weight but made of a less dense material will result in a bullet longer then the standard weight bullet and because twist rate is a factor of bullet length rather then weight, a faster then usual twist rate will be needed to stabalize said bullets.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Like srvet said you need to use a bullet lighter then your usual lead cored projectile, using a bullet of the same weight but made of a less dense material will result in a bullet longer then the standard weight bullet and because twist rate is a factor of bullet length rather then weight, a faster then usual twist rate will be needed to stabalize said bullets.

Ian.
    Ian, do you think that the bullet manufacturers might mention this?, the solid copper Barnes, just says 130 grain .270 on their packaging, & nothing in the load data to suggest poor performance with original twist rates.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I used the federal barnes in my bog standard Remy SPS 270, they were grouping sub 1/2 inch. I found they shot more accurately than their lead counter parts. Not convinced that they need a faster twist rate

Al