Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a strong shooting position

Building a strong shooting position

Not really sure how well this translates to stalking in the southern parts of Britain, but Scotland seems to work.
    Just a short film pointing out a few details on shooting over a bipod.

Fair point about the Leica Lazer. I have Geovids and my Lazer is not a patch on my mates Swarovski's.

Yorkie.

Not really sure how well this translates to stalking in the southern parts of Britain, but Scotland seems to work

No more so in Scotland than anywhere else, its long range shooting impressive enough agreed, it may appeal to those that have an interest in long range shooting, but it has nothing to do with stalking, the sport of stalking is getting as close as possible to your target, and while distances will be greater in the Highlands you are still looking at a max of around two hundred yards, shots in excess of seven hundred yards have absolutely no place in stalking.

My gripe is not with the video but with the comment, Not sure how it translates to STALKING in southern parts of Britain but Scotland seems to work.

Dont get the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Fair point about the Leica Lazer. I have Geovids and my Lazer is not a patch on my mates Swarovski's.

Yorkie.
    Yes it's not like rain is an uncommon occurence. One could perhaps expect more from the laser?

Re stalking comments: Maybe I should have said cull instead? Job is to protect the forest and put the deer in the larder with good shot placement. I'll stalk as required, but take the shot when able. Regardless of range it SHALL be a secure killing shot . I take almost all my shots prone or over sticks and find that practice makes things easier. In the part of Scotland where I hunt, the terrain allows the use of bipods- I have never hunted in England or Wales and don't know the terrain there. Many hunters have bipods but don't fully use them, hence the video. Regardless of range, the shooting fundamentals are the same ( if that made more sense)
    Last edited by Norway; 05-10-2013 at 21:19.

Thanks for posting. Can I ask how you reduce the 'muzzle jump' is it from exerting forward pressure on the bipod which you mentioned earlier?
    Thanks, Nick

Good shooting Thomas. I personally only use bipod for zeroing, I think I only ever shot one or two deer off bipod, maybe 20% of my shooting is off high seats and 80% off sticks. Bipods may work on open hill but I find them really annoying and generally PITA when stalking.

Thomas, I can't remember the name of the attachment for the bipod on your Blaser.

ive had a few emails with this guy on UKV and he realy knows his stuff and personally i have learned allot from his videos
    all my shots on deer are from sticks and never more than 150yds
    BUT when i now do my load development off a bipod ,i now know and trust the results ,and know that that flyier wasnt my shooting
    as ime doing EVERYTHING this man does behind the gun ,hes the man 6.5x55 all the way Thomas