Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting in africa

Hunting in africa

I have never been tempted to try african game, in those fenced in ranches
    The only interest i would have is dangerous game, and the prices are beyond what i am prepared to pay.
    Cape buffalo looks interesting !!
    Am i missing something here i just get the impresion at the gamefair for instance that they are selling something and linking it back to an era well and trully passed.
    Are the animals on ranches easy to hunt, i would get no thrill whatsoever shooting a girraffe even if it was running.
    If i used the same amount of money and spent it on wild deer in the uk it would give me more meaningfull memories
    TH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    I have never been tempted to try african game, in those fenced in ranches
    The only interest i would have is dangerous game, and the prices are beyond what i am prepared to pay.
    Cape buffalo looks interesting !!
    Am i missing something here i just get the impresion at the gamefair for instance that they are selling something and linking it back to an era well and trully passed.
    Are the animals on ranches easy to hunt, i would get no thrill whatsoever shooting a girraffe even if it was running.
    If i used the same amount of money and spent it on wild deer in the uk it would give me more meaningfull memories
    TH
    Not sure that makes sence to me..

People pay to stalk deer on 50 acres to 1000's of acres in the UK

Whats wrong with hunting Africa on 10, 000 acres + which is in a budget?

Cant say id ever go to Finland again which was supposedly 17, 000 hectares but atleast in this lifetime its another place ive been..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

We hunt on Scottish islands there's no difference . some of the ranches are bigger than the islands Anyhow most of the fences are there to keep the vermin out not in

don't knock it till you've tried it

I've only ever hunted African game that was truly wild but I have friends who have hunted behind the wire and they had fantastic trips. Some of the areas are huge and you won't see the fence in 7 days of hunting. I have shot boar in fenced areas and they behaved no differently to wild ones. I was dubious at first but after sampling it, I booked up to go again! As someone has already said, don't knock till you've tried it.

On the islands in scotland ive been to, the deer will swim to where they want to go wether its to the mainland or another island or to get around a fenced in bit so they are not limited by being on an island
    Regarding a budget, for the price of your air fair how much hunting i could buy in scotland would keep me happy
    Perhaps i dont dream big enough, i have had to endure watching a guys video of him shooting giraffe, kudu springbok and rhino in the past.
    Giraffe and rhino looked easy to hunt, unlike red deer
    I didnt realise how bad eyesight rhino have, and as for the giraffe i thought him very very sad.

No i have not tried it i made that plain, seems like i have to try things before i can comment

Do you guys want to come to an all male party, dont knock it until you have tried it
    Please dont reply as we will agree to disagree

Trufflehunting,
    If you are interested in African hunting, take a look at this website:
    Shakari Connection | African Hunting Information
    Enough info to keep you reading for a week!.
    Hunting Dangerous Game in a wilderness area is a great experience but expensive. Nothing like it, though.
    Buff seem to be the cheapest, Trophy Fees and duration of Hunt make the rest of the Big Five rather more pricey.
    I agree with you on hunting behind high fences, definitely not for me.
    Peter
    Peter
    Last edited by PeteL; 04-10-2013 at 08:20.

TH

Are you missing something? Yes most definitely, Africa is a magical place and it may steal your heart. I can't wait to get back in 2015. There are some good deals out there if you look.

​Frank

This is a reply I put on another thread about fenced areas:

(In SA you have to realise that hunting is a business far more than it ever will be in the UK. The fences are there to conform to legislation. Every game farm that has any non indigenous animals has to have a certificate of adequate enclosure (CAE) no matter what the size. Hunting in these farms can be done all year round if required.
    Any land that is low fenced for livestock can only be hunted in June and July. If anybody wants to hunt with us in low (unfenced) areas in the Eastern Cape we can do this for any indigenous species ie. Kudu, Bushbuck, Grysbok, Blue Duiker, Klipspringer, Vaal Rhebok, Oribi, Warthog, Springbok, Blesbok etc. If you want a Nyala for example low fenced it has to be in KZN. There are no legal low fenced Nyala in the Eastern Cape as they are not indigenous to that area so the farm must be CAE. That goes for alot of other species to.
    Kudu are everywhere and the fences do not contain them. I have personally seen a Kudu clear a high fence and others run through them.
    The size of the land in some respects is irrelevant. How many stalkers on here shoot in deer parks in the UK? They are miniscule compared to an average farm in SA.
    We have concessions from 300 hectares to 20000 hectares. I would challenge any of you to get a trophy Bushbuck or Kudu in the smaller areas in less than 2 days. It is hard hunting and densely populated with acacia bushes. Don't get me wrong, I also prefer to hunt large areas depending on the species but the smaller areas are also challenging. 300 hectares is 1.15 square miles and 20000 is 77 square miles. There is obviously going to be a lot of driving around to get to the animals!!)

You have mentioned Africa which is vast. If you want unfenced try Zim, Tanzania, Namibia etc. The latter is affordable but the others you will need deep pockets if you want dangerous game and even plains game in Tanzania. All dangerous game in SA is fenced.
    The cheapest of the big 5 is Lioness and Buffalo cow. After just personally taking a Lioness, 2 hours tracking on foot and shooting when it stood it's ground to face me, there is nothing like it. Beats shooting a Stag on a wet Scottish hill any day.
    Just my opinion but give it a try.
    Cheers
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    I've only ever hunted African game that was truly wild but I have friends who have hunted behind the wire and they had fantastic trips. Some of the areas are huge and you won't see the fence in 7 days of hunting. I have shot boar in fenced areas and they behaved no differently to wild ones. I was dubious at first but after sampling it, I booked up to go again! As someone has already said, don't knock till you've tried it.

really? Do you think my Buffalo, Leopard, Croc and Hippo are not 'truly wild'...just because it is on 2500-10 000acres of farmland...Think again...

Trufflehuning,

NOT all outfitter's in SA has '100acres' to hunt off...Depending what province your hunt will be conducted will also determine your degree of difficulty...in the Karoo or Freestate provinces, farms are large because of the carrying capacity of the field...whereas a 1500acres dense jesse in Limpopo or North West provinces will keep you quite busy on a hunt...
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Africa may well steal my heart it looks a very beautiful country but your poltics are bad, why have so many africans come back to europe.
    There is obviously going to be a lot of driving around to get to the animals On my Tv i see hunters driving round as they are not capable of walking far and shooting, there is little hunting in this.
    There are no legal low fenced Nyala in the Eastern Cape as they are not indigenous to that area so the farm must be CAE. That goes for a lot of other species to. IF a Nyala was my thing i would go to where they were indigenous i have no intrest to shoot a nyala
    Kudu are everywhere and the fences do not contain them. I have personally seen a Kudu clear a high fence and others run through them. As above
    The size of the land in some respects is irrelevant. How many stalkers on here shoot in deer parks in the UK? Very few, we tend not to hunt farmed animals.
    Beats shooting a Stag on a wet Scottish hill any day
    . Not from what i have seen give me wild UK deer every time
    Lets just agree to disagree
    Regards
    TH