What CF Calibre for fox & rabbit

Interesting thread, I've been considering whether to buy either a .223 or a .17 HMR for the same purpose.
Just dusting off my tin hat but .17 HMR is not a good fox calibre it tends to wound not kill. 223 however is made for the job but not kind on bunnies. I would buy two rifles, a .22 for rabbits and a .223 for foxes. Sadly one calibre will not fit all well IMHO

+1 I use .222 it is a very good and accurate round and cheap to reload. I shot this target with Tika T3 Hunter .222 Sako 50grn Gamehead 5 rounds i wish i knew how to post the target full size.
Jimbo View attachment 33071

Good group. There is a lot of fashion in calibres but if you can shoot a group like that with a soft shooting round like the .222 there is not much more to be said.

Just dusting off my tin hat but .17 HMR is not a good fox calibre it tends to wound not kill. 223 however is made for the job but not kind on bunnies. I would buy two rifles, a .22 for rabbits and a .223 for foxes. Sadly one calibre will not fit all well IMHO

Tend to agree with this conclusion. I use .204 on fox (never had a runner) and the .17 hmr on rabbit. A rabbit would not be in very good nick after an impact from a .204.

Another vote for 222

I use 40 grain vmax with N130 for fox and rabbits or 55 grain hornady SPWC with N130 for fox and Roe (in Scotland) this is the last 3 shots of the day with 55 grainers

I also have a 223 that shoots the Hornady 55 SPWC really well but my Tikka M55 222 is my go to rifle

​Rick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I would have thought .222 or .223. Have seen and used a Fireball, with light bullets needs v accurate bullet placement on foxs, which can be difficult at night. No doubt in the correct place deadly but not if error on your part. .222 or .223 with suitable BT bullet is all you need, stunning on feathered vermin, not too bad on head shot ground game and deadly on Charlie at all sensible ranges. .222 is a lovely round to shoot, .223 is very reaadily available. Also both small deer legal in England so handy if the chance arises.

Also Anschutz make both so accuracey assured.

D

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I'll be putting in a variation very soon. I opted for a .222 for several reasons, which include seen it in action, a friend shoots his better than his .243 and it's had a big thumbs up here as well. Although when I have phoned round for some prices the guys in the shop have all said, no why .222 (old hat / cartridge issues )go for a .223, but when I have explained what I want it for they have agreed that .222 would be better, as long as I home load, and I intend to. Maybe I need to be putting this in loading thread. But would H4895 be a good powder?. I opt for this as it good for the different grains of my .243 and I believe it can be reduced down by 40% from max load. But not sure if OK for .222. All suggestions welcome.
Thanks again all.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I'll be putting in a variation very soon. I opted for a .222 for several reasons, which include seen it in action, a friend shoots his better than his .243 and it's had a big thumbs up here as well. Although when I have phoned round for some prices the guys in the shop have all said, no why .222 (old hat / cartridge issues )go for a .223, but when I have explained what I want it for they have agreed that .222 would be better, as long as I home load, and I intend to. Maybe I need to be putting this in loading thread. But would H4895 be a good powder?. I opt for this as it good for the different grains of my .243 and I believe it can be reduced down by 40% from max load. But not sure if OK for .222. All suggestions welcome.
Thanks again all.

Try benchmark. Used it for years works very very well. 50grn vmax with 23.0 grn behind its. Stop any fox u want too. Saying that having a very hard struggle fimding it just now.

Back