Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an action from USA

Buying an action from USA

Do I need a space on my ticket to bring back a bolt and action from the states?

You will need an export licence from the Federal Authorities (circa 300 USD) and a Temporary US Licence issued by the ATF

When you get to the UK, it wont be a proofed item, so youll be in breach of UK firearms law,,,,

I wouldnt bother trying to arrange this yourself, pay someone with the necessary permits (US and UK side) then you know your safe.

if you have a slot on your ticket, you can bring a rifle back, no problem, no export license required, no duty, purchasing said rifle may be a problem, but if you have a friend who lives there then it would be ok. and before someone says this is not true, it was done last week
    you are not breaking UK law unless you intend to sell the rifle, then you will need to get it proofed

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    if you have a slot on your ticket, you can bring a rifle back, no problem, no export license required, no duty, purchasing said rifle may be a problem, but if you have a friend who lives there then it would be ok. and before someone says this is not true, it was done last week
    you are not breaking UK law unless you intend to sell the rifle, then you will need to get it proofed
    But you are breaking US federal law it is classed as a straw purchase for a US resident to buy firearms for somebody not entitled
    Last edited by geordieh; 03-10-2013 at 19:45.

My sister now lives there again and she has 2 of children who are US citizens, i am going over in April next year and was thinking about buying an action myself and bringing it back.

well the us customs were happy, that the gun had been gifted, as the person concerned is not in prison and this is the second rifle in five yrs, I don,t know what to say.

Hmm

sounds like the guy bringing the rifle from the US is breaking a number of Federal Laws...

If homeland security and US customs and UK customs say its ok then, it ok. Have either of you ever been to the US or ever imported a gun. I can only say what happened and the process that was used.

Imported several actions myself and travelled extensively in various countries with firearms including the states.

Im really surprised the guy you know is still at liberty.

However, if its ok with the customs dept then it must be ok..

Time to stock up on Borden actions i think

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    If homeland security and US customs and UK customs say its ok then, it ok. Have either of you ever been to the US or ever imported a gun. I can only say what happened and the process that was used.
    Yes to both I did it exactly the same way as you.And when I was going to do it for a second time I was told to contact ATF which I did and was told by them it was totally illegal under federal law, if we did it and got caught it would be jail time and I would not be allowed back into the US in future.So yes I may get away with it again but I am not taking that chance.It is no problem this end and not illegal
    Geordie