Thread: New Rifle cleaning advise R8

New Rifle cleaning advise R8

Looking to upgrade my existing stalking rifle a new R8, I was originally given a lot of conflicting info on cleaning with my first rifle, everything from not cleaning at all, to just using a bore snake now an then, or cleaning between every shot when first zeroing on the range ???.
    Just after some sensible realistic advice on cleaning a virgin rifle, best products and opinions on cleaning an R8 thereafter.

iv not got a r8 but run it in clean with a rod ect and not a bore snake crown killer. clean it good first with a good product not 3 n'1 i use kg but each to their own start with good bore cleaner and stay that way . use cheap factory rounds to run it in as the rifle won't mind .
    i bore clean til the patch is clean between each round fired for 5 rounds then every 2nd round for 8 rounds then again after 10 rounds, then 10 more, now a good clean once more, then its on to the bullet choice ect and a final zero once happy with my load a bullet echoice, i also let the bore cool down after every 3 rounds lots do it a different way this is mine, iv never burnt out a barrel or lost poi yet due to the barrel. but i do change barrels after 4,000 rounds on my range rifles but not on my deer or fox'rs as i shall never reach the point of it wearing out lol.
    as to good cleaning kit as said i use KG, wipeout is good i'am told ,hate the foam stuff. get a real good rod, i use the pointed push type tips as per your cal ,correct patch size, bore guide ,as for the bore and carbon wash out spray i use brake cleaner from the car service industry less than half the price as the gun cleaner tins. have fun feller lots more ways to do it on the way atb ​paul
    Last edited by paul o'; 03-10-2013 at 18:30.

Hello mate. I was once in the same position. As Paul suggests, there is a lot of advice out there. One thing I worked out early on was not to use a pull through.

I looked at the Wipeout products, but in the end, bought a full kit on the net from Reloading Solutions Ltd, Kidlington who didn't stock it. Full list below. I don't seem to use the bore guide too often, but do use the solvent port; not sure why.

I deliberated about spending so much on patches, but glad I did in the end. No stuck patches, no lint worries, no time wasted making my own up. I find a small plastic syringe handy for carefully applying the solvent. They come free with kids nurofen.

I didn't worry too much about shooting my new rifle in. Opinion seemed split. I put about 10 rounds of 5 different factory loads through it on targets and cleaned the barrel thoroughlly at the end of the day. Only then did I tackle live quarry. If I'd zeroed at a nice tidy range with a bench, I'd have taken more care probably, but I was in a field, on a quad bike. It seems to shoot very well despite my rough treatment. If you have the time and the facilities though, why risk it? Follow Paul's advice.

Good luck with your new rifle. I wish you many happy years shooting with it.

TIP783485 TIPTON 22-6.5MM 44" DLX ROD 1pc CARBON FIBRE (8/32-F)

PSJ30B PRO SHOT 30c SPEAR TIP BRASS JAG 12/CS (N.B needed to go back for the 6.5 version. .30cal would not fit)

PS30NR PRO SHOT 30c RIFLE BRUSH NYLON/BRASS CORE 12/CS

PS1181000 PRO SHOT 22-270c PATCHES 1-1/8" SQR 1000/PKG 12/CS

RSBG121 BORE GUIDE 243/6.5MM BLASER

RSSP01 BORE GUIDE SOLVENT PORT .17-6.5MM

SCMC704 S'CHOICE MC#7 BORE CLEANER & CONDITIONER 4oz

WE DO NOT STOCK WIPE OUT

Viney

On my website there are three videos showing the shooting, stripping and cleaning of a Blaser without a huge list of products etc. The main component being the wipeout products which are highly regarded by many on this site. If you have any problems finding them they are on YouTube under Coriniumrange. There are also articles on the products.

Hope that helps.

​HME
    Come and visit us for a Blaser or Mauser fitting, get the right rifle for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by HME View Post
    Viney On my website there are three videos showing the shooting, stripping and cleaning of a Blaser without a huge list of products etc. The main component being the wipeout products which are highly regarded by many on this site. If you have any problems finding them they are on YouTube under Coriniumrange. There are also articles on the products. Hope that helps. ​HME
    And very good they are too

Thanks for the advise

look up border barrels they have a page telling you how. Good luck and enjoy your new rifle.
    atb
    TS