Travel Insurance for hunting

The standard BASC insurance covers you for up to 90 days overseas hunting, as long as you stay away from Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon...

The policies provide worldwide cover with a limitation of 90 days to cover holidays for members resident permanently in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. (Excluding North America & Canada).

Basc insurance is not travel insurance just third party shooting insurance. so do not expect it to fly you home if you break a leg while hunting abroad for that you need a proper travel insurance that covers you for hunting in the county that you are going to. the company I use charge me £70 for a year and it covers me for wild boar shooting.

OK, fair point, but I have travel insurance too, so I suppose I have all bases covered unless I am eaten by a Canadian grizzly, or that massive Jaws-like muskellunge that me and Young Pine Marten are going to hook next July, "Old Man and the Sea" style.

Have any of you ever needed to claim while in the US?
The hospital in LA just laughed at my cover note and I had to flash up then claim on my return.
​A chocolate fireguard if anything more serious had happened.

I'd be interested too, as per PM request earlier.
Hi Eddy
my travel insurance is with Sagicor underwriting ltd. you do have to tell them that you need cover for hunting wild boar as it is an add on. I got mine through my local broker.

Hi Eddy my travel insurance is with Sagicor underwriting ltd. you do have to tell them that you need cover for hunting wild boar as it is an add on. I got mine through my local broker.
Thanks, I'll make further enquiries as I haven't found anything so far that hasn't asked for an arm and a leg and sometimes even a kidney.
It all sounds good untill you mention wild boar.
I reckon the wild boar reputation had something to do with that stupid idiot Johnny Kingdom program on TV a few years ago, he saw a real small one and acted like a big girl.

Have any of you ever needed to claim while in the US?
The hospital in LA just laughed at my cover note and I had to flash up then claim on my return.
​A chocolate fireguard if anything more serious had happened.

Does your travel insurance not require you to phone them before seeking medical assistance?

They then handle everything. On the three occasions I have used in Canada and USA there have been no problems and everything handled direct.

​Stan

Eddy

I am just looking at insurance for Croatia - I'm on to NFU, Direct Line and First Direct. I hope to get it sorted next week. That's for holiday curtailment and general travel insurance. The challenge is that they only cover personal items (rifle, scope, binos, etc) up to £600 per item. I am checking out BASC for their gun insurance, which I think covers 90 days abroad per year.

Dom

Back