WMS Steel Challenge

Hi there

I've been twice and it was terrific on both occasions with good weather. A really enjoyable and challenging day all round. The original WMS range has changed hands and is now badged as Orion Firearms training with Andrew Vennables having moved on to open another range on some other remote farm in Wales.

I thoroughly enjoyed my two trips and would happily add a third (hint to wife there).

Hope that helps
FN

Pretty sure that what my other did as she bought me the days for Xmas and I took them in May.

PM me if you want to call and discuss how it all works - happy to do that.
FN

done it a couple of times , enjoyed it thoroughly !

i think there is some bad blood between orion and wms ? i don't know whats gone on ?

my experience is with wms.

Thank's for replies its just that someone told me he has had problems getting a day .like its not availabe or to windy etc.Not sure now whether he has is with orion.

John O'Brian who runs Orion was a co-director of WMS along with Andrew Venables, Andrew has moved on, and John has taken over the lease. I have been twice and had a good time each visit, although the Welsh weather wasn't in the best of moods last time ! the targets are challanging and from the emails I have recieved, John has plans to improve the facilities (pretty basic at the moment)

Its a good day out. Gonna go again just before my trip to NZ next spring to practice shooting at steep angles and long distance. John O'Brian is a good lad but so was Andrew.

Ive been once, was OK. Its a fair trip out for me, obviously not WMS' fault but what im saying is that adding accommodation to the list of costs makes it an expensive weekend out. Also, i think we paid £100 each for the day (this was a few years ago, would be £120 now) and there were quite a few people there. So, you had to do what the majority wanted to do. I dont have a problem doing this if its a reasonable price but for the sort of money they charge, i would prefer a maximum group size of say 6.

Probably due to the size of the group, we only shot 3 different positions, 200/380, 800 and 1100. I personally would have rather seen more different targets opposed to spending hours on one shooting point.

I would go again for £120 per person per day but only if it was a private party.

Cracking place to shoot, which pushes you with the weird, swirling winds and horizontal rain. John is a first class instructor and helps any way he can.

The cost is £100+vat per shooter, minimum number is 3 and they don't like more than 8. The day I did with Kenny started with 100/200 with targets out to 800+ Hardest thing was that with most targets on heather/grass you couldn't spot your own shots. Shooting from the elevated platform was fun, and the water here made walking the shots in much easier.

Lots of rumours flying around about what happened, but no hard facts, so I guess we will probably never know the truth.

Back