Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought a Tikka M65 - Any Other Owners on here?

Just Bought a Tikka M65 - Any Other Owners on here?

New (to me), it's virtually unused and I will get a chance to shoot it next Sunday. My first centrefire and I'm very excited.

Any other M65 owners on here? I'd like to reduce the trigger weight a tad, but don't want to remove it from the stock or do anything too tricksy. I think they are 1.5-2kg from factory and they say not to take it lower than 1kg.

It's a lovely light rifle in .308 and comes up to the eye very naturally.

Very happy. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3792.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	33130
    Last edited by Toxster; 10-10-2013 at 18:27.

No need to remove it from the stock to reduce the trigger weight. Simply remove the magazine and adjust by the screw that is accessible inside the magazine well.

Have a look here http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm or on the Sako/Tikka website for old model manuals.
    Last edited by 8x57; 05-10-2013 at 14:38.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxster View Post
    New (to me), it's virtually unused and I will get a chance to shoot it next Sunday. My first centrefire and I'm very excited.

Any other M65 owners on here? I'd like to reduce the trigger weight a tad, but don't want to remove it from the stock or do anything too tricksy. I think they are 1.5-2lb from factory and they say not to take it lower than 1kg.

It's a lovely light rifle in .308 and comes up to the eye very naturally.
    Yes. I have two in Lefthand. The lighter one is in .308, but in the Deluxe stock whereas yours is in the standard stock. It looks about mid-1980's production. The .308 was also available in the more common and lighter M55 short action with the 3-shot stacked magazine.

They handle better than the later M595/M695 series. The trigger is adjustable in situ as 8x57 says, but I've never needed to adjust the trigger on any of my Tikka's. They have super triggers, and the weight proved just right for me.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I'll have a look for that trigger screw tomorrow, though the trigger isn't heavy - probably 1.5lbs. My browser won't let me into Stevepages as it has a security fit....I did though find the exploded views if not an actual manual on the Tikka website.

Any ammo preferences? The PO said it likes Remington Accupoint 165gr, but I could only get hold of Norma 150gr ballistic tips. I'll be doing most of my shooting with Bisley's best fmj at 50p a pop, then re-zeroing using the expanders before trips.

I have an M65 continental in 270. It is an excellent rifle with a very good trigger. I have adjusted the trigger and found that on my rifle 1.5 lbs was as light as it should go and remain safe. I subsequently set it at 2 lbs which is my preferred stalking rifle trigger weight. My rifle is not fussy about which bullets I use. I don't use factory but most of my handloads will be MOA or much better. It is a good rifle so enjoy.

Any recs for trigger scales? My club does have a min weight restriction so I guess I should conform. I imagine a stalking rifle also needs to be drop-safe so super light triggers are out, which is fair. I now see the use for a set-trigger though.

As Andy has said above it should be impossible to reduce the trigger pull below what Tikka determined was a safe limit. They are excellent triggers on the M65 and there is normally no need for a set trigger. If yours is heavy or generally poor it is worth remembering that these rifles were last made in the early 1980's, so it's probably worth having it checked and cleaned by someone who knows what they are doing.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Oh no, nothing wrong with the trigger, the rifle is immaculate. Just that my background is .22 Match rifles, so I'm making the muscle/psychological adjustment to a sporting set-up. Having shot a few cf rifles now, this has the crispest action yet.

One of the best Tikka rifles made. As for the trigger please leave it alone! This is a hunting rifle not a match 22 they are chalk and cheese and a centrefire with a light trigger in the ounces is a recipe for disaster.

look after it and it should appreciate in value or don't look after it and any custom gunmaker will take it just for the excellent action.

​Good luck
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

You are so right, I am struggling not to fiddle.... One thing that will change is that it has a polymer "Quake" sling attachment. This will be changed asap for a regular metal jobbie. I now have the sling adjusted to bollock achingly tight as I like the arm twist thing with the sling.

Just need to fire the thing! Next Sunday is range day....