Open hill reds

Jimbo 30 06

A successful day on Red's with a Hind and calf.

Jimbo

img038_zps2860f6a3.jpg

Most of my lifetime Red stalking was on ground similar to that pictured below and not suited to mechanised transport but only brute force.
When I had the misfortune or stupidity to shoot more than one beast I used to drag them down a small distance and then go back up for another unless I could roll them down part of the way.
Happy days when I was young and fit and not an arthritic 80 year old.
HWH.

Good photo's Hewbert it's good to reminise but alas time waits for no one. I just hope I'm as good as you at 80.

Kind regards Jimbo

Well I have seen many friends off and due to my Glaucoma most of my activities are screwed up.
I get about on Bugsy my all terrain vehicle and sometimes get into mischief.
HWH.

Great photos stag 1933 I'd love to see some more of your old pics? I sure hope I'm still getting out shooting when I'm 80 !

Great photos stagg, but where are the knobbly tyres for the beast?

These are no problem on fields as it has good ground clearance and the large rear wheels. This picture was taken at the entrance to my Gun Club a few miles from my home .
It has a 30 mile range on HD batteries and does 8mph on the roads.
Its advertisement shows a farmer bottle feeding a lamb.

HWH.

The second Red stag of my life in 1961 was this poor 9 pointer with a small bez/bay tine.
It is a recessive trait/fault which can pop out at any time if the like gene is in its mates DNA profile.
Lurking there unseen it can be difficult to eradicate.
In later years I culled Reds and Fallow in a park.
Most of the mounted Red heads in the castle showed this defect so I shot them whenever seen.

[ I had no mountain boots in 1961 being a novice to mountain hunting at that time.]
HWH.

Thanks for the info very interesting ! Keep the pics coming I'm loving them :) what rifle were you using back then sir?
​Atb Jim

It was a 7X65R O/U on a Merkel action topped by a Zeiss `Zeilsecs` 6 power scope and regulated for the RWS 173grain/11.2gramm soft-point bullet.
The reticle was my favourite the German No.1 which can be used as a rangefinder also.

HWH.

Back