Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head shooting rabbits

Head shooting rabbits

There isn't a lot of margin for error on any head shot.
    Yet lots of people think nothing of head shots on rabbits.
    Are we applying the same humane principles to the humble rabbit that we apply to deer?.

we have done this to death,

basically rabbits heads are not as mobile as deer.

All of the ones I've head shot with a 22-250 died very promptly and without any knowledge that their brains were in the next county. Same goes for the 17HH except none of the chest contents accompanied the brains. I'll continue to be happy to use this method provided they're safe shots and the target isn't mobile to any degree.

The same could not be said of those I've chest shot with a 22LR using subsonic or HV hollow point and I've shot over 500 in some years.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post

+1 I take it private fraser hasn't shot many rabbits.

Jimbo

All of the ones I've head shot with a 22-250 died very promptly and without any knowledge that their brains were in the next county.

Brilliant reply Barkingsnake

Jimbo

It seems you don't have to be dead center either with a rimfire bullet to impart enough shock to knock them out/kill them. Some places I have hit rabbits would certainly result in a deer running off but rabbits are a bit more fragile it seems.

Never thought about it except that butchers/dealers etc aren't too worried about taking a heart/lung shot deer properly gralloched but you tend to get a lot of hassle off them if you send in rib shot rabbits.There fore I always attempt to head shoot rabbits to swell my meager coffers

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo 30 06 View Post
    +1 I take it private fraser hasn't shot many rabbits.
    Jimbo

Sorry neither of you think the subject worthy of discussion and one of you makes an incorrect presumption.

Atb

​fraser
    Last edited by private fraser; 05-10-2013 at 21:11.

I head shoot about 95% of my rabbits..........I have a specially trained dog to track and catch any runners...........like all responsible rabbit stalkers

I can only recall one rabbit which survived an HMR headshot. I'd missed a couple in suspicious circumstances. I shot another at barely 50 yards, hit it, but it didn't sound right. The rabbit went down and disappeared into a hollow in the ground but I could see it lifting its head so I went to investigate. I aim directly under the ear with head shots but it turned out the zero was off and at 50yards I was shooting over an inch to the left and the bullet had struck between the eye and the snout. The rabbit was crouching in shock but fully conscious with a neat entry and exit hole clean through the sinuses. As it breathed a bubble of blood appeared at each hole like the air pouches on a frog.
    I've never seen this before or since. I've head shot rabbits with the HMR at extreme short range when they've hopped out of cover right next to where I've been sitting and the effect has been explosive. So it can't have been an expansion issue. I guess it was just a flukily perfect placement right in the sinuses that are as thin as paper. A fraction either way and I reckon it would have been near decapitated as you would expect at that range.
    A few times when I've napper shot rabbits at 150 odd yards with the HMR I've seen them spun round sideways 360 and found them with their necks broken. A rabbit's physiology is quite different from deer with short, less supple necks and I reckon its extremely rare for them to survive head shots wherever they strike.
    You can see and hear the strike from an HMR and if I was regularly getting runners from head shooting I'd have stopped doing it.