Thread: merkel Helix RX query

merkel Helix RX query

Not sure if anyone has one of these straight pulls. Must say I do like the look of them.
    Wondering though. Can the gap behind the bolt be accessed? if gunk, dirt and the elements entered the slit, would you ever be able to clean it?

I'm sure it can be stripped to allow access. It might be fiddly to clean but judging from pictures I would say after removing the barrel and stock there should be access through the magwell at the least. The overall layout isn't too far from any semi-auto or other straight pull with a housing to contain the bolt carrier and I doubt the Germans would create a rifle that couldn't be cleaned.

Regards,

​Snag

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagman View Post
    I'm sure it can be stripped to allow access. It might be fiddly to clean but judging from pictures I would say after removing the barrel and stock there should be access through the magwell at the least. The overall layout isn't too far from any semi-auto or other straight pull with a housing to contain the bolt carrier and I doubt the Germans would create a rifle that couldn't be cleaned. Regards, ​Snag

Blaine,

The bolt head can be removed from the bolt, same as Blaser, Sauer, Mauser etc. breakdown rifles. Cleaning isn't a problem.

Now, if you want a driven battue type rifle, the Merkel RX ticks all the boxes.

If I was starting out again, I'm on Mauser MO3, I would go Merkel over Blaser only because of the shorter pull and integrated Picattiny rail. I'm a driven man and straight pull over "bolt" wins on battue.

Stan

p.S. My rifle for UK Deer is a Blaser K95

Would be using more for stalking. Big Blaser fan club out there but I sense the RX could make an impact over the longer term .
    Also looking into th custom route but that really depends on budget

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Blaine,

The bolt head can be removed from the bolt, same as Blaser, Sauer, Mauser etc. breakdown rifles. Cleaning isn't a problem.

Now, if you want a driven battue type rifle, the Merkel RX ticks all the boxes.

If I was starting out again, I'm on Mauser MO3, I would go Merkel over Blaser only because of the shorter pull and integrated Picattiny rail. I'm a driven man and straight pull over "bolt" wins on battue.

Stan

p.S. My rifle for UK Deer is a Blaser K95