Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sloe whisky

Sloe whisky

I was recently at a food show and sampled some sloe whisky.
    Being a fan of sloe gin I have to say I quite fancied trying a variation of the annual sloe gin.
    So does any one have any sloe whisky recipies?

I rarely bother with sloe gin now and usually make either sloe whisky, vodka or even tequila.

I'm sure some folk will come in with there own recipes but basiclly u just subsitite the gin for whisky (or any other spirt) i just use supermarket''s finest cheapest brand of spirt, used to always be a 1:1;1 type ratio ie 1 litre to 1lb sloe/fruit to1lb sugar, but now tend s to be less sugar mibee only 1/2lb per pb fruit. U can always add more sugar if bitter u can't take it away if too sweet (althou u can dilute with a 2nd more purposely made bitter batch)

Just experiment u can vary anything u want to suit ur taste, more fruit etc, even hear off someone recently who brews it twice (ie once the first batch is ready decant's puts more sloes into the already sloe spirt and leaves again).
    The only spirt i tried which i didn't like was morgans spiced rum, waste off good morgans, or atleast it was with sloes possibly be better with other fruit.

Biggest problem this year is no sloes up here, again. Think going to have a go with branmbles this year!

Sloe whiskey rocks. 1lb to 1lb per ltre. I use Countryboys 1 : 1 : 1 ratio... CB I may hae access to some hopefully this year if it comes off Ill send some down.

Nutty

Yes much prefer it to sloe gin, as others have said same recipe just replace the gin with whisky,the only thing you loose out on is the fruit after you have finished for doing something else with,coating in chocolate, making a fruit cake, slider etc. when making sloe whisky for some reason the fruit goes all wizened and looks like currants.

sloe vodka here buti like to add a vanilla pod for a day. only one day mind other wise u get vanilla vodka
    up and at um

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    I rarely bother with sloe gin now and usually make either sloe whisky, vodka or even tequila.

I'm sure some folk will come in with there own recipes but basiclly u just subsitite the gin for whisky (or any other spirt) i just use supermarket''s finest cheapest brand of spirt, used to always be a 1:1;1 type ratio ie 1 litre to 1lb sloe/fruit to1lb sugar, but now tend s to be less sugar mibee only 1/2lb per pb fruit. U can always add more sugar if bitter u can't take it away if too sweet (althou u can dilute with a 2nd more purposely made bitter batch)

Just experiment u can vary anything u want to suit ur taste, more fruit etc, even hear off someone recently who brews it twice (ie once the first batch is ready decant's puts more sloes into the already sloe spirt and leaves again).
    The only spirt i tried which i didn't like was morgans spiced rum, waste off good morgans, or atleast it was with sloes possibly be better with other fruit.

Biggest problem this year is no sloes up here, again. Think going to have a go with branmbles this year!
    Bramble is very good, just don't try victoria plums, tasted OK but I had to drink it in the dark it looked like skitter

Country boy, if I can find enough I can send you some if you like.

I tried sloe whisky, vodka and gin two years ago (no berries last year) and the whisky was my favourite by far.

Never tried whiskey but a mate gave me a bottle of Sloe brandy last year which I'm going to try as it was scrummy!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

bought a bottle o sloe whisky ....bloody brilliant!!! will be giving it a go if get amount of sloes

paul