is this a muntjac slot ???

Sure looks like one, unless you maybe have a very small (orphaned?) roe about? Easier to tell on slightly firmer soil as muntjac have much sharper outside edges to their slots. Did you not think you had Muntjac?
MS

I've stalked this ground near stone staffordshire for about 3 years, I've never spotted one and never heard one and there's no sheep on the ground
​so suspect they must be moving in from the trentham estate nearby

Hi Dave

I thought I found one in North Wales a few years ago, very clear, small track, listened and looked but nothing ever came of it. In the end I put it down to probably being a late fallow fawn and also a partial track as it was just the one track, I searched but no other trackers further on or behind due to dry ground. Did you find any more of them? Or just a single? If they are there you will soon start to bump into them, just got to stop automatically assuming anything small and red is a fox!

I've stalked this ground near stone staffordshire for about 3 years, I've never spotted one and never heard one and there's no sheep on the ground ​so suspect they must be moving in from the trentham estate nearby
Dave I helped keeper a shoot in ecelshall found one run over by side of road

I've stalked this ground near stone staffordshire for about 3 years, I've never spotted one and never heard one and there's no sheep on the ground
​so suspect they must be moving in from the trentham estate nearby

Found exactly the same in woodland not a million miles away from that neck of the woods.No sheep and only Fallow in the surrounding area so it looks like they're slowly moving in

Found exactly the same in woodland not a million miles away from that neck of the woods.No sheep and only Fallow in the surrounding area so it looks like they're slowly moving in

looks like they are on the way

If you have any crab apple trees on your patch search there or set up a trail cam there. if you have munties they will be at the crab apples now.

I'm going to go against the opinions so fare and say no for the following. Would be easier to be certain on firmer ground as per MS's post but looks too rounded at the front and too broad at the back. Muntjac have noticeably pointed and slender slots.
​But I could of course be wrong...

There hav been Muntjac spotted near Moddershall over 10 years ago
but sightings have been few and far between since then

I'm going to go against the opinions so fare and say no for the following. Would be easier to be certain on firmer ground as per MS's post but looks too rounded at the front and too broad at the back. Muntjac have noticeably pointed and slender slots.
​But I could of course be wrong...

I have to agree, I'd go so far as to say this is nothing like a muntjac slot - agree 100% with Win Mod 70

Back