Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reckless driving and licence revocation

Reckless driving and licence revocation

Generally the Police take a dim view of any untoward or anti-social behaviour as regards firearms licensing.
    Would it be a likely follow up of a conviction for reckless driving to have a firearms and shotgun licence revoked ?
    ​Not myself, but an acquaintance.

Quote Originally Posted by Malxwal View Post
    Generally the Police take a dim view of any untoward or anti-social behaviour as regards firearms licensing.
    Would it be a likely follow up of a conviction for reckless driving to have a firearms and shotgun licence revoked ?
    In a word YES !
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Quite possible, its at the Chief Constables discretion.

If it is a criminal offence that has been committed it will have an affect on the licence. Dont do the crime if you cant stand the time!

Depends on the mood of your chief constable
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Reckless driving is generally a thing in the USA. In the UK there are tiers of driving offences. The lowest of these is driving without due consideration followed by driving without due care and attention. Basically these are offences that occur when you aren't driving to the standard required of a normal motorist and come to attention usually because of an accident or being witnessed by the police or others. I should think such offences will as a matter of procedure cause the police to consider your firearms/shotgun certificates but I would also think it not likely that they would be revoked.

Dangerous driving is defined in S2(A)(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988. A person is guilty of dangerous driving if:

1. the way he drives falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver and
    2. it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.

This is a much more serious offence and can involve disqualification, a big fine, having to take your test again after the disqualification is up and even imprisonment. Again, this will cause the police to look at your certificates and make a decision. Much will depend on the actual circumstances of any offence for which your friend may be convicted but it's a reasonable to think there's a greater chance of them being revoked.

Of course I'm generalising, but I should think that if it's the more serious offence, then your friend will have a solicitor and he may well want to consult him on this matter, or indeed consult BASC if a member.

If he's been convicted of dangerous driving do you think he should have a gun licence ??? I think not ! , if he can't control himself with a car then who knows what he'd be like with a rifle or shotgun ie taking unsafe shots .....or worse !
    Enjoy yourself ........it's later than you think !!

Thank you folks. Indeed the lad has been disqualified for two months, so I think dangerous driving is involved, as it was a court appearance rather than a totting up of points.
    In my opinion, he should never have been given an FAC in the first place.

lad has been disqualified for two months, so I think dangerous driving is involved,
    Dangerous Driving (section 2, RTA 1988) has a mandatory minimum 12 months disqualification.

I've since spoken to him and it's careless driving with a 2 month ban. He's heard nothing from the Police as of yet, but I'd be surprised if he didn't at least get a warning of sorts.