Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First batch with the lee loader done...

First batch with the lee loader done...

Well, that's the first batch of rounds knocked up with the lee loader, surprising simple... Just a couple of question...but first the recipe -

Sierra 85 gr spitzer, 35 gr varget, and 65mm OAL.

the 2.5 cu.in measure states 34.2 gr with varget but I dipped and measured 10 dips the - the variance being 34.8 low and 35.5 high, so what I did was weighed each charge and got them to 35gr.

all the rounds went together well but on 3 occasions after seating the bullet and taking the loader off the round a few grains of powder dropped out, very minimal but still a bit, I measured the grains from the most significant drop out and found it to be 0.4 on the scale.

so what are the thoughts?

The max load for this round is down as 36.5gr.

i'll be testing these tomorrow all going well.

anyone using this combo and if so what load are you using?

regards,
    Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Well, that's the first batch of rounds knocked up with the lee loader, surprising simple... Just a couple of question...but first the recipe -

Sierra 85 gr spitzer, 35 gr varget, and 65mm OAL.

the 2.5 cu.in measure states 34.2 gr with varget but I dipped and measured 10 dips the - the variance being 34.8 low and 35.5 high, so what I did was weighed each charge and got them to 35gr.

all the rounds went together well but on 3 occasions after seating the bullet and taking the loader off the round a few grains of powder dropped out, very minimal but still a bit, I measured the grains from the most significant drop out and found it to be 0.4 on the scale.

so what are the thoughts?

The max load for this round is down as 36.5gr.

i'll be testing these tomorrow all going well.

anyone using this combo and if so what load are you using?

regards,
    Gixer

Gixer,

drop out from where ?

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Gixer,

drop out from where ?

Stan
    when I removed the loader from the round after seating the bullet.

Regards,
    ​Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    when I removed the loader from the round after seating the bullet. Regards, ​Gixer
    Gixer,

Then it never went in the case the first time.
    You either have lube in the die or electrostatic holding.

​Stan

When I used the Lee loader for batches with weighed charges I used a funnel and a loading block.
    If you are going to weigh every charge and fret over a few kernals of powder you may want to rethink and go with a press and dies.
    Then you really are in charge of how it is all adjusted, giving you even more to fret over

Neil.

Gixer,

Then it never went in the case the first time.
    You either have lube in the die or electrostatic holding.

​Stan
    Stan,

thanks, no lube as I cleaned out the die with brake cleaner and dried it thoroughly, I was having to tap the powder out of the top funnel/crimping section of the loader to make sure it dropped down and am 100% sure the top part was clear every time, I guess it drops into the void above the cartridge shoulder when it's poured in.

regards,
    ​gixer

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    When I used the Lee loader for batches with weighed charges I used a funnel and a loading block.
    If you are going to weigh every charge and fret over a few kernals of powder you may want to rethink and go with a press and dies.
    Then you really are in charge of how it is all adjusted, giving you even more to fret over

Neil.
    Thanks neil, I not long sold off my press and reloading kit as I just wanted a simple loader for knocking up a few rounds and theses seem perfect, I guess I need to maybe funnel it in bit I wouldn't think such a variance will make much difference.

regards,
    ​gixer

Gixer,

I just use Lee scoops and find no problems. Can't think how, after all the powder going in and then inserting bullet you have "stuff" coming out.

​Stan

Gixer,

I just use Lee scoops and find no problems. Can't think how, after all the powder going in and then inserting bullet you have "stuff" coming out.

​Stan
    I would say because you knock the case in to neck size it them knock it down to insert the primer this leaves a slight gap and with varget being extruded I guess it rattles around as it goes in so some gets into the gap...that's my thinking anyway!

regards,
    ​Gixer

Gixer,

This is something I wouldn't worry about. Keep on banging them in. Welcome to the club.

​Stan