Chris Packham

old keeper

On the BBC news this Am it said Chris Packham was advocating feeding foxes particularly in towns in an attempt to stop them entering houses looking for food.
I seem to remember a couple of years back, him advising someone who had a problem with badgers digging up their lawn to feed plenty of peanuts so that they wouldn't need to dig for worms! Strange to relate more badgers than ever turned up for the starter then got stuck into the main course of worms. When will they ever learn?

Thread two :doh:
It’s about feeding them sporadically, not regularly, which can create dependence.
Seems like a fairly sensible approach to me, after all it isn't as if you are going to stop it happening altogether is it ?
He is also correct in saying foxes are one of the only larger UK mammals most people will get to see from their homes, and people like to watch them.

Neil. :)

Not so long ago he said not to feed foxes so much and at the bottom of the garden, the lessening of food would control their breeding......and they would not get humanised by the lack of contact.

We've got a fox coming into our garden.
It never touches the food left out for it ---- in the trap! Bu**er!!!!!

But one day.... one day..........

Ed

Give it five minutes and Stephen Harris, the Enemy's favourite 'scientist' will be all over this...no doubt followed by Brian May, Gawd help us

I do get frustrated by quite a lot of autumnwatch to the extent I've often watched it with the sound off. However I do remember an occassion where Chris Packham explained the need for and went on to support the culling of deer given certain circumstances. I admired him for this as he didn't need to go to the length of explanation that he did on that occassion and I think many at the BBC simply would have kept shtum. I also like the way he attempts to undo a lot of the personification that the rest of the presenters seem to place on the wildlife. However, I strongly disagree with the feeding of foxes.....(but then I do feed the birds in our garden ....:cuckoo:)

Unfortunately our back garden isn't that big with a footpath behind the fence and we live in a bungalow.
So no safe shot - I'm trying to lure it into the trap for relocation and appropriate rehabilitaion with a .22:)

Ed

Great post!!

On the BBC news this Am it said Chris Packham was advocating feeding foxes particularly in towns in an attempt to stop them entering houses looking for food.
I seem to remember a couple of years back, him advising someone who had a problem with badgers digging up their lawn to feed plenty of peanuts so that they wouldn't need to dig for worms! Strange to relate more badgers than ever turned up for the starter then got stuck into the main course of worms. When will they ever learn?

Hi Old Keeper

He works for the BBC so what else do we expect from their NUMPTY'S.

Jimbo

However I do remember an occassion where Chris Packham explained the need for and went on to support the culling of deer given certain circumstances. I admired him for this as he didn't need to go to the length of explanation that he did on that occassion and I think many at the BBC simply would have kept shtum.
+1. That was quite brave of him to defend deer culling on the BBC. He's alright in my book, even if he is quite self-satisfied. (I really want to dislike him, but can't really). He's more knowledgeable than that Oddie bathbun. I loved it when he suggested that cat owners put their cats on the fire to save garden wildlife.
I wonder how we would all fair if we had to do live TV, off script, for all those hours; bound to put your foot in it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
It jist seems such a double standard that he can spout any nonsense he likes about a range of topics yet Adam Henson (adams farm on counrtyfile) by all accounts is scared to put his true feelings on wot he thinks of the badger cull because he is an BBC employee. Bearing in mind TB is actually directly affecting his and his families livliehood and affecting the stock on his farm and he has to live with that TB hanging over them like all farmers do, not speaking from a house in central london

Until alleged conservationists freely admit that predators do actually eat things and do have an impact on there prey populations, but are not that fussy so when populations of a certian prey species get too low and too hard to catch they will quite happily eat something else. It's not rocket science yet these text book conservationists can't see it. Absolute madness

Ps sorry don't see how it is brave to speak the truth, if u don't manage populations the vast majority even in a healthy population will all starve to death when there time comes. Fact.
Hard to argue against it really, if more folk came out and spoke the truth british wildlife would be in a far better state.

Last edited:
This is a quote from the telegraph article.....

"It is both sad and shameful that when night falls and the setts of southern England stir their gentle folk will be needlessly slaughtered. That in spite of science and public will the wrath of ignorance will further bloody and bleed our countryside of its riches of life. That brutalist thugs, liars and frauds will destroy our wildlife and dishonour our nations reputation as conservationists and animal lovers,” he said.

Gentle folk...badgers ??...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/en...will-destroy-wildlife-says-Chris-Packham.html

Its feeding humans that does the real damage. The population is long overdue for management. They've invaded the fox's territory, they're competely out of control and they spread disease yet they show no sign of starving themselves into extinction. They'll starve everything else out first. A trial cull zone is unquestionably called for. Start at the BBC and work outwards.

Back