Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barrel cut down

barrel cut down

been awhile since i have looked on the site dont why that is as there is so many great this to see and read about.i have sako quad 17 hmr and have thought about chopping the barrel down,was wondering what would be the best length to cut it down too if at all.would it make it louder and less accurate?what are your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by shippers View Post
    been awhile since i have looked on the site dont why that is as there is so many great this to see and read about.i have sako quad 17 hmr and have thought about chopping the barrel down,was wondering what would be the best length to cut it down too if at all.would it make it louder and less accurate?what are your thoughts?
    IMO: i would not go shorter than 16" it will be a bit louder but a good mod is all you need to sort that out,you will not loose any accuracy at all.

a shooting budy has my old sako 17 hmr and he cut it to 18" and its shoots just as good as it did before he cut it,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    IMO: i would not go shorter than 16" it will be a bit louder but a good mod is all you need to sort that out,you will not loose any accuracy at all.

a shooting budy has my old sako 17 hmr and he cut it to 18" and its shoots just as good as it did before he cut it,

bob.
    ps: make sure its done properly or it may well shoot like a shotgun.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

many thanks for the info,did think that 16 " would be the shortest you should go down too.if i do it will go for 18" as you cant put it back on if it does not work.

Well ive got a cz 17 hmr sitting at 14.5 inches and it shoots very well alittle louder than I would like but a better mod would help their

Account Suspended

Hi
    Out of interest what is "properly"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    ps: make sure its done properly or it may well shoot like a shotgun. Hi Out of interest what is "properly"
    "Properly" As in set up true in the lathe with the bore concentric.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    "Properly" As in set up true in the lathe with the bore concentric.
    ​And correctly re-crowned.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by shippers View Post
    There were a lot of tests done in the states with 17hmr in relation to barrel length verses loss of velocity and cartridge efficiency. What was found was the length of 16.5 inches gave the most effective compromise between high velocity and maneuverability. any less than that and the velocity loss became more significant the shorter the barrel became. with a moderator the issue of the rifle becoming louder is really a moot point. minus moderator the shorter barrels do bark more in comparison to a 22 inch barrel.
    It is vital that the barrel is re-crowned after screw cutting and we normally lap the crown in on 17 hmr rifles to ensure an
    absolutely burr free crown that will give the very best accuracy. yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris custom rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Hi
    Out of interest what is "properly"
    Like this.