.270w advice please

Toddy

I've a chance to buy an old Parker Hale, mauser actioned .270w, however I've noted that there seems to be a lot of play in the bolt when it is fully open. I've no experience of mauser action rifles and was wondering if this is normal or not. The bolt cycles smoothly and locks securely though, what are your thoughts please?

​Toddy

'
I've a chance to buy an old Parker Hale, mauser actioned .270w, however I've noted that there seems to be a lot of play in the bolt when it is fully open. I've no experience of mauser action rifles and was wondering if this is normal or not. The bolt cycles smoothly and locks securely though, what are your thoughts please?

​Toddy

Mauser actions slack as a whores draws bus accurate as he'll in my opinion.

Alot of custom rifles are built on the mauser 98 action!

spanish mausers as often used in parker hales are frequently flying all over the place when the bolt is extracted, it's for lack of a rear receiver bridge narrowing that fits the bolt body to tight tolerances..sako perfected (IMHO) this and therefore has very little play.

mind, I'd take a mauser action any day, even a spanish santa barbara like I suspect you have.

As others have said, its perfectly normal. I've owned a lot of 98 actioned rifles over the years and they all do it, nothing to worry about.
AB

Cheers, everyone. Thanks for the replies, I think I'll be calling the gunshop tomorrow!

​Toddy

what is the rifle? get some pics up when you are done

play on open bolt is normal as above.

think muddy trenches and "going over the top". worked for 3m+ soldiers since 1898, kept it from jamming just like a sloppy kalashnikov!

Back