Scope manufacturers' warranties

Spix

It must be worth having a thread of current warranty periods and comment for the multi-various brands of scopes in use with SD members ; the well known and the less well known.

I've been using recently :

Bushnell, limited lifetime
Nikon, full lifetime (non-electronic component scopes)
Schimdt & Bender, 30 years
Optima, can't remember if there ever was one, 35 years on still in perfect working order.

There must be a score or more makes in current use. S

It must be worth having a thread of current warranty periods and comment for the multi-various brands of scopes in use with SD members ; the well known and the less well known.

I've been using recently :

Bushnell, limited lifetime
Nikon, full lifetime (non-electronic component scopes)
Schimdt & Bender, 30 years
Optima, can't remember if there ever was one, 35 years on still in perfect working order.

There must be a score or more makes in current use. S

I was informed recently that Schmidt & Bender now only offer a 2 year warranty, Don't know if this is correct though

I was informed recently that Schmidt & Bender now only offer a 2 year warranty, Don't know if this is correct though

Didn't stop you buying one then ?

S&B 30 years, within the first 10 years manufacturer covers materials and labour. S

One I found recently, but no direct experience :

Konus, limited lifetime replacement. Good for a budget scope manufacturer ? S.

Didn't stop you buying one then ?

S&B 30 years, within the first 10 years manufacturer covers materials and labour. S

I didn't say it would stop me buying one did I?
Just repeating what I was told by Local RFD who sell Schmidt & Bender along with all major brands of scopes

I think but I may be wrong that the two years only refers to the electronics of the illuminated reticle, the rest of the scope has a much longer warranty.

I think but I may be wrong that the two years only refers to the electronics of the illuminated reticle, the rest of the scope has a much longer warranty.

You could be right mate, I was told most of the big name scopes are now coming with a shorter warranty, because none of manufacturers want to hold spares in stock for the long warranty periods previously offered

I didn't say it would stop me buying one did I?
Just repeating what I was told by Local RFD who sell Schmidt & Bender along with all major brands of scopes

Apologies, 'Did it stop you ?' was what I was trying to get at S

Doctor 30 years

nope:
"DOCTER[SUP]®[/SUP] Limited Two Year Repair Warranty"

most firms are retrenching into case specific full repair covered by increasingly complex legal caveats to the warranty

S&B
I am arguing with S&B at the moment
originally a 30 year warranty on older products
10 parts and labour
20 years parts only

now 10 years
2 years parts and labour
30 year guarantee to maintain a parts stock list

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/service/warranty.html

Swarovski
SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products.
Once examined, if it is determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective
part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of
purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use
All non-optical products (i.e. accessories, tripods etc.) are warranted for one year from date of purchase.

Swarovski
SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products.
Once examined, if it is determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective
part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of
purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use
All non-optical products (i.e. accessories, tripods etc.) are warranted for one year from date of purchase.

I just had by binoculars back from Swarovski where they completely refurbished them, replacing all the outer rubber armouring, eyepieces, lense-covers etc, for free. They sent me a detailed invoice which added up to about £200, but charged me nothing. These are binoculars I bought second hand on eBay and were about 10-15 years old.

I just had by binoculars back from Swarovski where they completely refurbished them, replacing all the outer rubber armouring, eyepieces, lense-covers etc, for free. They sent me a detailed invoice which added up to about £200, but charged me nothing. These are binoculars I bought second hand on eBay and were about 10-15 years old.

That's why it's worth the up front CAPEX cost of getting into Swarovski optics

8 respondents

10 brands

There must be a lot of you out there using open sights :old:

:) S

8 respondents

10 brands

There must be a lot of you out there using open sights :old:

:) S

Not really but a lot re buying used optics a they simply cannot afford the new prices. My "new" S&B is probably out of warranty as it was purchased so long ago now. Most of the other scopes were all bought used except for some budget ones I wanted to try and test out.

Not really but a lot re buying used optics a they simply cannot afford the new prices. My "new" S&B is probably out of warranty as it was purchased so long ago now. Most of the other scopes were all bought used except for some budget ones I wanted to try and test out.

Completely agree, and joking aside it was information on the multi-various budget brands that might help. Chuckhawks is down today, updating, but always worth a look at their 'scopes by price class' list. S

Back