Thread: Bipod Stability - Swivel or not?

Bipod Stability - Swivel or not?

I recently purchased a 13"-27" swivelled bipod as most of my shooting would be either from a sitting position or in long heather/soft ground. I had never used a bipod before.

However this bipod is slightly too high for me to shoot prone in normal conditions/range work and I was looking to buy a second 9"-13" bipod for this purpose.

My question is would I be better buying a swivel bipod or just a bog standard non swivel. Obviously price is a driving factor as one is nearly twice the price of the other but does anyone find a big difference in stability? Is a non swivel really that difficult to use on uneven ground? I had this gut feeling that the non swivel would provide me a more stable shooting platform on firm/flat ground at the range I use.

I really don't have the time to travel to my nearest dealer to try one out on my rifle so I would be grateful for any advice......

Swivel every time.
    The non swivel type isn`t going to produce the easiest option every time.
    There are alternatives, your rucksack, binos etc but none will give you perfection every time.
    basil.

Huntsman81,

I would go for the swivel model!

I have the 9-13" swivel model and it makes it a lot easier to shoot on un-even ground without having to worry too much about adjusting the legs.

What I would recommend is you also purchase a "pod lock" this is basically a small handel to replace the horrible screw for fixing the swivel in the desired position.

click here

Hope this helps
    Jonathan

hi, if it was me i would spend the xtra money for the swivel model,for my first bi pod i bought a standard model and now i find that it,s only useful for zeroing .
    the scudd

Many Thanks

Swivel it is! Like the look of that Podlock Jonher, any idea where I can buy these in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by huntsman81
    Many Thanks

Swivel it is! Like the look of that Podlock Jonher, any idea where I can buy these in the UK?
    Sorry don't know if they're available for purchase in the UK, but I'm sure someone on the forum will have an idea!

I bought mine via the airgunbbs forums (http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums), they had a group buy.

The guys name was "foxshooter" if you PM him he might arrange another group buy! Thats what I did

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by huntsman81
    Many Thanks

Just found one here for 23:
    http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/accessories.asp

Think I paid around 10 when purchased as part of the group buy from the US!

Jonathan

Go for swivel.

The patent has just come of Harris bipods so there are now Chineese copies made to same specs. I think Global Rifle is the place to start, see web site or get hold of a gun mart.

D

I take it these are the bipods referred to with a list of stockists. Maybe you can check what they are going for.
    http://www.snipersystems.co.uk/id46.html