Bipod Stability - Swivel or not?

I recently purchased a 13"-27" swivelled bipod as most of my shooting would be either from a sitting position or in long heather/soft ground. I had never used a bipod before.

However this bipod is slightly too high for me to shoot prone in normal conditions/range work and I was looking to buy a second 9"-13" bipod for this purpose.

My question is would I be better buying a swivel bipod or just a bog standard non swivel. Obviously price is a driving factor as one is nearly twice the price of the other but does anyone find a big difference in stability? Is a non swivel really that difficult to use on uneven ground? I had this gut feeling that the non swivel would provide me a more stable shooting platform on firm/flat ground at the range I use.

I really don't have the time to travel to my nearest dealer to try one out on my rifle so I would be grateful for any advice......

Swivel every time.
The non swivel type isn`t going to produce the easiest option every time.
There are alternatives, your rucksack, binos etc but none will give you perfection every time.
basil.

Huntsman81,

I would go for the swivel model!

I have the 9-13" swivel model and it makes it a lot easier to shoot on un-even ground without having to worry too much about adjusting the legs.

What I would recommend is you also purchase a "pod lock" this is basically a small handel to replace the horrible screw for fixing the swivel in the desired position.

click here

Hope this helps :D
Jonathan

hi, if it was me i would spend the xtra money for the swivel model,for my first bi pod i bought a standard model and now i find that it,s only useful for zeroing .
the scudd

huntsman81 said:
Many Thanks

Swivel it is! Like the look of that Podlock Jonher, any idea where I can buy these in the UK?

Sorry don't know if they're available for purchase in the UK, but I'm sure someone on the forum will have an idea!

I bought mine via the airgunbbs forums (http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums), they had a group buy.

The guys name was "foxshooter" if you PM him he might arrange another group buy! Thats what I did :D

Jonathan

Go for swivel.

The patent has just come of Harris bipods so there are now Chineese copies made to same specs. I think Global Rifle is the place to start, see web site or get hold of a gun mart.

D

Back