Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFG A/T Tyres

BFG A/T Tyres

Hi All
    I know on here folks are often asking about tyres for 4wd's so here is a bit of info for you.

The BFG All terrains I just took off my L200 have just done 57145 miles and still had a little to go until they were illegal. They have been on my current truck for 3 years and just over a year on my previous L200 the original Bridgestone's that one came with had done 23000 when I changed them although they had a bit of life in the they had become useless in the field.

They might me expensive to start but its sure worth it.

Wayne

couldn't agree more I had a set on one of my Hi Lux for 3 years,drove all over the county pulling a car trailor plus loads of off road activity did easy 60K if not more on them took them off and sold them for 100 on e bay
    my mate has had a set on his 03 Navara since new its done 83K and the fronts needed changing due to cracks but the tread was still fine

General Grabbers A/T are no far behind.
    Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a 'orrible c@#t, me.

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE DAVIES View Post
    Hi All
    I know on here folks are often asking about tyres for 4wd's so here is a bit of info for you.

The BFG All terrains I just took off my L200 have just done 57145 miles and still had a little to go until they were illegal. They have been on my current truck for 3 years and just over a year on my previous L200 the original Bridgestone's that one came with had done 23000 when I changed them although they had a bit of life in the they had become useless in the field.

They might me expensive to start but its sure worth it.

Wayne
    just checked the clock on my disco,and I reckon 55,6969,that's with rotating front to back over 5 years @ 425 new.

My last set of BFG a/t did a little over 72,000 miles on my navara before I changed them as they got an advisory on he MOT and it was coming upto winter. Probably could have got another 5,000 miles out of them if I was not fussed about performance in snow and mud.

Had them on my Freelander in the end and sold them (on steelies) on the bay for 300 (cost me 400) a year previous off the bay and did 14k with little wear .

now I have a Surf, went to buy some off the bay again - 300 for four brand new (less than 500 miles covered) again on steelies!

I keep my eye out on the bay for the same size tyres as you never know when a replacement is needed when you drive through forestry etc with them..

​T

Had a set of bfg a/t's on a 110 double cab years ago that did 100,000 and the ones I just took off my hi lux had done just over 75,000, think the rear wheel drive of the Toyota/Nissan/ ect pulls the wear down a bit compared to the full time drive of the defenders! But by far the best At tyre on the market, you get what you pay for!!

My tyre man in Crieff swears by them and he is over 70 and used to offer a trade in with Stirling/Cupar/Perth land rover dealers if the customer wanted real tyres instead of the road fitment. He always fitted BFG a/t or M/t ans has seen over 80,000m on still legal tyres. I have had GgKM'2's and Khumo KL71's but nothing comes near the old pattern BFG M/T not the latest model though.

Well, i'll be the one to rock the boat then.... I don't like BFG AT's one bit!

Yes they last a long time and give good mileage, but only because they're made from such a hard compound. This makes them significantly worse on wet tar and in snow and slush than a lot of other "All Terrains".

BFG have a fanatical following in the UK, whereas reviews from the rest of the world paint a completely different picture. I've had countless sets of 4x4 tyres; Coopers Discoverer ST, General Grabber AT2, Pirelli Scorpion, BFG AT & MT, etc, etc....

For me & my useage:

Best all terrains: Toyo Open Country AT
    Best mud terrains: Cooper Discoverer STT
    Best in betweener: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (favourite tyres ever to date).

You are 100% correct about wet roads especially when no ABS is fitted as in TD5 Defenders as half a dozen pairs of underpants will verify..