Thread: Off white lumps on lungs

Off white lumps on lungs

I shot this stag tonight, in otherwise healthy condition, good body weight, coat, behaviour etc, but on removing the pluck the lungs were covered in these pale lumps, anyone any ideas please?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Were the lymph glands ok?

Nothing untoward or abnormalities on the glands in the head and windpipe, everything seemed fine.....
    Last edited by deerstalker.308; 08-10-2013 at 20:44.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Looks like damage left over from pneumonia.
    Did you also check to see if it's lung worm?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

How? I incised one of the patches and it is the same consistency as the rest of the lung, just different colour, no sign of any worms anywhere......hadn't thought of pneumonia, that's a good call actually.

If the lymph nodes fine, the patches 'feel' the same as normal lung and there were no adhesions (lung stuck to chest wall) then I'd not be getting too excited by them.

Personally I'd not report it as suspect TB, but you could always speak to your local duty vet and see if they find the case interesting.

I think lungworm is a good call - same species as in cattle.

See the pics in this thread, you can see similar lesions in the background.

Broken Antler Lungworm

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Probably lungworm related. I saw something similar last year and got it sectioned at the lab to confirm it. OLd or young stag?

Thank you apache, it's on land with a lot of cattle as well, so that could be the cause? Definitely no adhesions, as I say, everything else was as you would expect.
    The value of this forum is once again proved, some very helpful folks out there, thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Probably lungworm related. I saw something similar last year and got it sectioned at the lab to confirm it. OLd or young stag?
    I would say no more than 4 or so, but I haven't had a close look at his teeth, he was an eight pointer with average weight (130kg compared to a normal rutting weight of around 145kg locally)