Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moderator recommendations

Moderator recommendations

Hi guys

I am waiting on a variation to come back and then I will be purchasing a moderator for a new stainless synthetic Sako 85 in .243 calibre. I am looking for something which is relatively short and light weight to go on the rifle, Preferably around a pound or so in weight though I would certainly go a couple of ounces more if stainless steel proves to be the more durable option.

I would appreciate any recommendations that you may have, or any moderators to avoid.

​many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    hi guys

i am waiting on a variation to come back and then i will be purchasing a moderator for a new stainless synthetic sako 85 in .243 calibre. I am looking for something which is relatively short and light weight to go on the rifle, preferably around a pound or so in weight though i would certainly go a couple of ounces more if stainless steel proves to be the more durable option.

I would appreciate any recommendations that you may have, or any moderators to avoid.

​many thanks.

a-tec maxim

MAE T12 Scout - available from JMS Arms.

Hardy Gen IV...
    290g, only adds 80mm to the end of the barrel and 55% weight reduction on a T8 brick
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Hardy Gen IV...
    290g, only adds 80mm to the end of the barrel and 55% weight reduction on a T8 brick
    What are these like in relation to muzzle flip and noise reduction. I have been looking into these and hear mixed stories about them

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    AU-SL5 in .30 cal. Regards JCS

best buy by far

cracking mods and works very very well.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbott View Post
    What are these like in relation to muzzle flip and noise reduction. I have been looking into these and hear mixed stories about them
    Being light, the flip is greater than a heavier mod, and the noise reduction won't be quite as good. This all has to be balanced by the weight though, and as I carry it more than I bl**dy shoot it when stalking, that was a major criteria.

All this said, I shot 2 bucks at 198 and 201 yards within 8 mins of each other, so the noise can't be a massive issue.

It's on the rifle when at the range as well, but with Peltor cans the noise is irrelevant, and the flip doesn't worry me
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I have an A-tec maxim on my Sako 85 .243, It is a cracking Mod suits the rifle down to a T.

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu bràth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

I have used a T4 on my Sako .243 for several years.
    Relatively cheap, not much difference in the weight when compared with the A-Tech Maxim (A-Tech is lighter). Only adds two inches to overall length and good noise reduction.
    I look after it so no problems with rusting. Jacksons recommend them for .223 but you will find that lots of people use them on the .243 with no problems.