Falconry

Been into falconry virtually all my life. Flying a female gos in her 4th season. Just starting my 12th season flying eagles with a fresh young male golden eagle from my breeding pair .

Nelson.

Just asking because i have a 13 year old daughter who is showing interest in taking it up after i took her to a falconry experience day.

I have a couple of books for falconry beginners here that your daughter is more than welcome to no charge other than postage

The only bit of advise I give to folk thinking of starting it is imagine caring for a dog well doing hunting with any type of bird of prey in the correct way is ten times more than having a dog its not even a hobby it's a way of life and must be an obsession it destroyed a relationship of mine .on the other hand it's a wonderful thing if you want a bird to pop out of a tree for you but hunting proper requires 8 days a week ,lots try it because it seems well romantic .a rifle can be put away after cleaning and forgotten a bird of prey hmmm .
good luck with whatever you choose to do .
​norma

Agree with Norma...not to be taken lightly.
Having flown:

Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
Harris hawk
Red Tailed hawk
Peregrine

I can tell you it takes an enormous amount of time and effort to give these birds the exercise and work they need to flourish.
Get an imprint and be prepared to be driven t distraction by the noise (unless its a red tail which tends to be quiet but are a real handful of a bird to manage)

Agree with Norma...not to be taken lightly. Having flown: Sparrowhawk Buzzard Harris hawk Red Tailed hawk Peregrine I can tell you it takes an enormous amount of time and effort to give these birds the exercise and work they need to flourish. Get an imprint and be prepared to be driven t distraction by the noise (unless its a red tail which tends to be quiet but are a real handful of a bird to manage)

​What weight did the different birds fly at?

Hi been flying for 20 odd years prob best bet would be a male Harris had loads of fun flying 1 myself :thumb:

Appreciate all the advice gents . I am not taking this lightly i want her to do the research etc to see the commitment needed.

+1 on the male harris good beginners bird but still a big commitment read the books I send then read em again

Like stalking a good mentor is the way to go courses and books are fine hands on with an experienced falconer is worth far far more far too many people think books will teach you everything it won't ! It's not rocket science but when a bird of prey looks Ill it's already 75% DEAD ! Also 13 yr old children soon discover going out ,boys ,clubbing Ect a male Harris I had lasted 20 yrs !
Cheers
​norma

Like stalking a good mentor is the way to go courses and books are fine hands on with an experienced falconer is worth far far more far too many people think books will teach you everything it won't ! It's not rocket science but when a bird of prey looks Ill it's already 75% DEAD ! Also 13 yr old children soon discover going out ,boys ,clubbing Ect a male Harris I had lasted 20 yrs !
Cheers
​norma

+1 on that norma ! Ivy is the fourth youngest of my five children!

Back