Breathing control

Muntiacus

Anyone got any good techniques for controlling your breathing.
I for one have stalked across forestry only to get in range of the deer to find that I couldn't hold the rifle steady if I laid it on the ground :(
On the other hand, whilst on the range you relax breath slow but you still get a tiny amount of movement.
Obviously fitness will help, nerves will factor, (if doing your level 1 or proving you can hit a target to a guilly for example).
But is there a good technique :confused:

I find "dry fire" practice is the best training. Firstly, it gets you used to your trigger pull and secondly do it whilst balancing a 2 pence piece flat across the end of your barrel - if you can pull the trigger without the coin falling off time and time again you will gain bags of confidence for the field.

P.S. do i need to stress the importance of making sure you do not have a round up the spout - i think not!!

best of luck

Technique I was taught in the cadets and used by military and target shooting is:

1) Don't try to hold the sights on target - you won't - they just wobble.

Instead.

Breath out fully, breath in - the sights move up and down the target, then breath out squeezing the trigger as the sights become aligned about half way through your breathing out. And make sure you follow through.

Have a look at www.rifleshootermag.com - in techniques there is a good explanation of this.

And practice - dry firing at home - 20 shots a day will soon see you right.

Also when stalking take it slowly and steady and try not to get out of breath. If you can compose yourself before the final stalk in soi much the better.

I would agree with the breathing technique as described by Heym SR20, practice of course but try to relax. I have found that over concentrating can be just as bad as not concentrating.

Also dont' forget Stalk slower or find a piece of easier ground ;)

John

As you have indicted getting fitter would help, I run with my local hill running club and although I do not necessarily advocate this for everybody (how an enthusiastic a stalker are you?) I can never honestly say that I have never been too out of breath to take a shot, this is despite the fact that once I am in “dead” ground I have been known to run while stalking deer.

The benefits in being physically fit bring benefits to your whole life, not only in the stalking field.

Best rgds

Thar

I have to say I had trouble controlling my breathing between the 27th and 31st December (few weeks back).

I had a Spanish professional hunter and his girl friend over as clients for a Chinese Water Deer and Muntjac. Very nice people, only he could not speak a word of english, but the lady could. So she became the interpreter. Not easy to describe which Chink to take whilst laying in a field in the middle of these two people.

She was about 5ft 4" tall, long blonde hair, hazel eyes, and a very trim figure. I was getting breathless with her laying tight against me on a cold stubble field drilled with rape :eek:

Mr and Mrs B will know who I am talking about.

I tell you this guiding business can take it out of you, but I have to suffer it at times :D

sounds like a tough job malc :rolleyes: :lol:
i take it they may be returning for further outings?? :rolleyes: ......i tell you what, if they do, let me do you a favour and take them out for you!! 8)
no arguments, i would be glad too ;)

you can take it easy for the day........now really,......i insist!! :D :D

duggers

I think it`s always going to be a little bit harder to control your breathing when you have spent x amount of time getting close to the deer.
Just think about it, you have spotted a roe/red or whatever at the other side of a valley or it has just walked around the edge of the forest onto more open ground, you`re thinking, how can i get to it without being seen, which way is the wind direction going? is it going to be safe when i get there? etc, etc.
After all this has gone through you`re mind and you get to within range, the last thing you want to do is balls the shot up with a miss or even worse, lame it. May be it`s just me, and it dosen`t hurt to try, but with the best will in the world, no amount of practice with your breathing can prepare you for the shot at a deer as each one is different.
With quick shooting your breathing isn`t in the equation.

wadashot

Hi Duggers, well actually they are coming back, and maybe with their friends on a big trip to the highlands 8)

I am afraid you may have to undergo rigorous training first though, and of course I would need written and signed consent from your wife. ;)

Sounds more of an adrenaline surge than anything else. All culminating just before the kill, anxiety and other emotions, all coming to a head

In the show biz we use breathing techniques, breath deeply in through the nose, and then slowly out through the mouth. It does work, I use the same technique when coaching batsmen at the crease when facing fast bowling.
It don't stop em getting half killed but it stops em worring about it before it happens

Back