How to start

goldypurple

Hi all.

Im new to the forum,

My first ask is how do i get started in stalking, i havent a rifle yet, nor a FAC yet. no dsc courses yet.

but what are the steps i should take.

Andy

Prob the best starting place is book a couple of stalks with someone. You can use an estate rifle and learn an awful lot - all helps when you apply for a FAC.

I see from your intro you're near Thetford (some monster reds over that way I believe??) so someone on here should be able to make a recommendation??

Hi Andy

I assume you are possibly wanting to try the sport out to see if you like it and it suits you before committing to the obvious first steps which you have listed yourself :confused: :confused:

Youve taken the first step my friend as there are loads of genuine site members that will im sure give you a hand up just as ive been given..

Hopefully some time in the field will come your way and enroll for your level one as there are no negative points in doing it and speaking personally i found it a great course..

It also seems its becoming a minimum requirement when folk offer up stalking opportunities..

Also if youve not already get your insurance sorted and there are enough to choose from :rolleyes:

Lastly participate in the site and get some time in the field.. ive travelled to Argyll, Tain, Gloucester, Devon and this weekend am off to Horsham with Malc all in the last four weeks sharing a lot of laughs and some great stalking all with members off this site as i have no land of my own..

ATB and be lucky

Terry

I was in your shoes about 6 months ago. I booked my first stalk on the BASC lease at Kings Forest nr Thetford. If you're are a member of BASC (which is worth joining if you're not) then its open to you too (muntjac only with the estate .223 though) Have a look at their website.

andy ,

i am out sunday morning after roe . :D

you are more than welcome to come and shaddow me if you want weather providing ?

my roe patch is near attlebrough so its not too far for you to come !

let me know if ure interested :D

cheers lee

I have also just posted an introductory post. I am in a similar position to Andy, but do have a FAC (22WMR). Looking at that link posted above for stalks in King's Forest, I may plump for that.

leec6.5 said:
andy ,

i am out sunday morning after roe . :D

you are more than welcome to come and shaddow me if you want weather providing ?

my roe patch is near attlebrough so its not too far for you to come !

let me know if ure interested :D

cheers lee
Lee,
I'm sorry to be presuming here, but if Andy can't make it sunday, would you consider another shaddower? I understand you offered it to him, but if you could tolerate another I would be very greatful. I haven't been stalking yet but need to start somewhere! I live in New Buckenham...

Anyway, enough hi jacking - sorry Andy!

DSC level one booked for april, Training manual in hand, now to study it lol. It doesnt look easy! :cry:

FAC application half filled in, stuck on what to put down :confused: as rifle and reason etc, as i dont have any land. :cry:

Andy

That was quick! Wish I could book a DSC... Ah well, one day.

How was this morning then? I'm guessing stalking is for you.

goldypurple said:
DSC level one booked for april, Training manual in hand, now to study it lol. It doesnt look easy! :cry:

FAC application half filled in, stuck on what to put down :confused: as rifle and reason etc, as i dont have any land. :cry:

Andy
It sounds like you are on your own, so first off get a couple of downloaded copies of F.A.C. forms, fill one in & get someone to look over it, DO NOT SEND IT IN TILL YOU'VE HAD IT LOOKED AT!, then you won't have it thrown out straight off! it's very easy to limit your options just by using the wrong words or phrases on your forms, if you are a member of B.A.S.C. or another worthwhile body, USE them! Steve.

Back