Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: knifes...

  1. #1

    knifes...

    Hello....Can anybody inform me of the law on carrying knifes i.e size of blade or locking blades etc for use when stalking...cheers in advance

  2. #2
    you can carry what you like as long as your going to or from your stalking.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  3. #3
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    you can carry what you like as long as your going to or from your stalking.
    Not strictly true - flick knives, switchblades and automatics are illegal regardless.

    By law you can carry in public a non-locking, folding, pocket knife with a cutting edge of less than 3 inches without the need for good reason. Anything else (and yes, I know there are exemptions) you will need a good reason to carry it in public.

    So going to/from stalking and stalking itself would be deemed good reason to have in your possession a fixed blade or locking knife such as a Mora or Exa Swingblade. Having one in the glove box of your car on the basis you might go stalking sometime this weekend is NOT good reason.

    If you want to see the full FAQ's I suggest a look here: The Law FAQ

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  4. #4
    Regular Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Posts
    350
    There's legal guidance on carrying knives relevant to the VRC Act 2006 on the BASC website.

    To remove any doubt, if you have to discuss why you are carrying a knife with a police officer, you could keep a copy of the advice in your wallet. S


  5. #5
    SD Regular willie_gunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    Posts
    6,995
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spix View Post
    There's legal guidance on carrying knives relevant to the VRC Act 2006 on the BASC website.

    To remove any doubt, if you have to discuss why you are carrying a knife with a police officer, you could keep a copy of the advice in your wallet. S
    Thanks for that Spix, jolly handy: http://basc.org.uk/download.cfm/doci...ED46C927D34652

    willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Not strictly true - flick knives, switchblades and automatics are illegal regardless.

    By law you can carry in public a non-locking, folding, pocket knife with a cutting edge of less than 3 inches without the need for good reason. Anything else (and yes, I know there are exemptions) you will need a good reason to carry it in public.

    So going to/from stalking and stalking itself would be deemed good reason to have in your possession a fixed blade or locking knife such as a Mora or Exa Swingblade. Having one in the glove box of your car on the basis you might go stalking sometime this weekend is NOT good reason.

    If you want to see the full FAQ's I suggest a look here: The Law FAQ

    willie_gunn
    what he says ^^^^^^
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Having one in the glove box of your car on the basis you might go stalking sometime this weekend is NOT good reason.
    I can't speak for everyone here, there may be a few taxi drivers.... but the inside of my car is not a public place. If it's ok to leave a rifle unattended in the boot of your car (out of sight and as secure as practically possible) then why not a knife?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

    Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I can't speak for everyone here, there may be a few taxi drivers.... but the inside of my car is not a public place. If it's ok to leave a rifle unattended in the boot of your car (out of sight and as secure as practically possible) then why not a knife?
    I know what you mean, but by the same token the inside of your jacket pocket isn't a public place. However they (car and jacket) accompany you through many public places and so therefore put the knife close to hand should you decide to take it out to use or commit a crime. (That's how plod see it)

    I think you'd find that transporting a firearm without actually being on you way to or from shooting is an offence as well? Being that all someone has to do to get it is smash a window and steal the car. (Again, that's how plod see it)
    Last edited by digger9523; 10-10-2013 at 10:38.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

  9. #9
    Yeh, I'm not saying the BASC guidance is wrong but it seems contradictory to allow rifles to be stored in vehicles but not knives.

    I believe it is legal to leave a gun in a vehicle, for example at motorway services or even an overnight stay in a B&B. Obviously you'd remove the bolt and magazine to render it useless but it still makes you wonder.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

    Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Yeh, I'm not saying the BASC guidance is wrong but it seems contradictory to allow rifles to be stored in vehicles but not knives.

    I believe it is legal to leave a gun in a vehicle, for example at motorway services or even an overnight stay in a B&B. Obviously you'd remove the bolt and magazine to render it useless but it still makes you wonder.
    there is nothing to say leaving a knife locked securely in your car when going stalking and stopping en route is a problem along with your rifle. The problem arises when you routinely carry a knife for no good reason. You wouldn't leave you rifle locked in your car overnight outside your house or take your rifle out when you popped to the shops? If I'm going somewhere where I need a knife then I take it if I'm just out and about I don't carry it or leave it in my car on the off chance. You wouldn't keep your rifle in your car as a matter of course just incase you saw a deer whilst driving past your permission or came across an RTC?

Similar Threads

  1. What and how many knifes when in the field!
    By speedystu in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 06:13
  2. knifes that bite
    By macfarlane in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-06-2013, 06:54
  3. How many knifes do you take stalking ?
    By Big Kev in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 19:56
  4. knifes
    By simon1979 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27-01-2013, 09:35
  5. For Sale Knifes and binos
    By hunterscabin in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 12:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •