rifle action pop quiz!

bewsher500

I am trying to identify a rifle action
The rifle is a Mauser (allegedly) but it is not a standard mauser action
must be 50 years old

the bolt handle is well forward of the midpoint of the bolt length,
the bolt "shroud" behind this is angular like a tank turret and incorporates the entire area where the rear bridge would be on a M98 action and this all comes away with the bolt leaving an open rear action.

have googled the bejaysus out of it but can't find anything remotely similar

​anyone? anyone?

Like this?

If so Mauser 66.

Have a look at this youtube clip on the 66s see what you think about the various safety aspects. The car travelling along the road in the background is quite good.

Last edited:
bingo!
Thats it!

well done, now why didn't any pictures of that action show up under "Mauser actions" in google?

have to say its a funny looking thing to use.
off to read up

​thanks

bingo!
Thats it!

well done, now why didn't any pictures of that action show up under "Mauser actions" in google?

have to say its a funny looking thing to use.
off to read up

​thanks

bewsher500,

You really need to "search" with more advanced options and use a better search engine than Google. It's the first choice and so presents the most searched results as that's how google can sell advertising.

Any search with less than 20 keywords will result in popularist results.

​Stan

but I can scan 2000 pictures faster than I can think of 20 words to describe something like that!

Ed,

it's the M66. chrisc on here has a .308 for sale, have a look. also, my old friend from near our stalking grounds has the m66 in .243, I'm sure you can have a play with it if you want one day ;). The action is a telecopic action, it's made in oberndorf to exceptionally high tolerances and is as smooth as a baby's bum, truly incredibly smooth. personally I love it, but some hate them. they were outsourced to the husqvarna factory at one point I believe as well..

dicksons recently had one in 270 they could not shift, and went at auction for only 300 quid.

the later models were switch barrels, but the barrels are hard to find. the newer models I believe had 'fixed' barrels.

the trigger though, is double set, contentious issue, but again, very smooth, and a much nicer double set than brno's imho.

they look great with eaw clawmounts and a rail scope, front mounted, well, it has to be that way as there's no rear receiver bridge,,ie. the rear retracts as you cycle a bolt..

the biggest problem with them is that because of the tight tolerances, any bit of grit or dirt with lock up the action, potentially leaving you with a headache out stalking,,and deffo a no no if shooting DG.

lesson over :)

atb

​P

I am trying to identify a rifle action
The rifle is a Mauser (allegedly) but it is not a standard mauser action
must be 50 years old

the bolt handle is well forward of the midpoint of the bolt length,
the bolt "shroud" behind this is angular like a tank turret and incorporates the entire area where the rear bridge would be on a M98 action and this all comes away with the bolt leaving an open rear action.

have googled the bejaysus out of it but can't find anything remotely similar

​anyone? anyone?

Last edited:
The Mauser 66 was designed for target shooting originally by Walter Gehmann and it has a telescoping bolt. t's a rather nice bit of engineering really and I nearly bought a new deluxe one from F.A. Andersons many years ago but it was a .243 and I didn't want a .243 really. When I finally decided I could cope with a .243 after all someone had put a deposit down on it the day before I called back in so although I missed out on a very nice rifle I wa snot as upset as perhaps i would have been in another chambering.

Great guns

My mate has one in 243 on his sale shelf...if it was another caliber I'd have possibly already taken it off his hands as it has a set of claw mounts included.

I think they are great due to the bolt design making for a much shorter action = less weight to the gun too

The one I saw was amazingly well built. Pity they are not more commonly seen

other than being different and "a great bit of engineering" ....what is great about them?

Build quality for a start. no plastics and those I have seen always had good quality and quite well figured wood fitted. Finish on the Model 66 even the standard trim ones was of first class quality with well polished metal which was well blacked. No shoddy or cheap bead blasting to be seen :D also not all have the double sett trigger fitted although it seems many chose that option. The parts of the rifle even internal ones that i have examined are finished to a high standard unlike a lot of those on "Modern" rifles. This meant that the Model 66 was never a cheap option.

The magazine capacity is limited due to it sitting right above the trigger mechanism and the Model 66 is a TRUE SHORT action due to it's telescoping bolt. They also handled well and the balance is excellent for a stalking rifle. Not that that seems important in the UK today :rolleyes: what with the fashion for ugly lumps of metal screwed onto the muzzle ruining the balance.

I noticed that there is a mention of it's well fitted parts causing problems in the field :rolleyes: strange how this fault is never levelled against Blaser for their tight fitting bits! Also this never really seemed to be a problem with the Mannlicher Schoenauers :-| once again I wonder if this is a case of those just repeating "parrot" fashion what they had heard/read and really do wonder how many have had real life experience of using such rifles?

I believe that Mauser also made a Marksman version with synthetic stock of the Model 66.

Of course the Model 66 was made when Mauser was actually still Mauser and not just a pawn in some Venture capitalists folder of investments and still based at their proper home in Obendorf.

I have, just don't like them much tbh..but true, they are very smooth too, fair point Kev.

I can understand how some cannot get on with or do not like the bolt handle being further forwards. Another extremely smooth action to operate of course is a good condition Lee Enfield on the No1 action. The sporting one by BSA that I sold the other year was very smooth indeed. Sad to see it go. Again the cock on closing is just too hard to work with for some :rolleyes: it seems.

if only I could buy rifles just because I liked the action or was interested in the asthetics rather than having to justify each rifle to a slot for a purpose.
Sadly nicely engineered and finely balanced is unlikely to be accepted as 'good reason'...shame really

if only I could buy rifles just because I liked the action or was interested in the asthetics rather than having to justify each rifle to a slot for a purpose.
Sadly nicely engineered and finely balanced is unlikely to be accepted as 'good reason'...shame really

agreed, but nightvision/estate rifle/woodland/hill/open sights/high mag scope/low mag scope/varmint/roe/sika/red/DG/boar/tracking rifle/spare rifle/etc.

loads of scope, no pun intended :)

That's my Museum piece! I have one just the same! in .308 thanks for this very useful background info on my unusual rifle. Looks like its going to be high maintenance...much like the shooter, oh well.

well the one I have shot is Ok I guess
Action is decent, if by smooth you mean no slop like the M98 then yes,

I found it a bit agricultural in its design and as for weight... christ it is heavy.
good couple of pounds heavier in the same calibre than my M98
feels like it is all in the action though I suppose so still balanced

I don't personally like the rear cut out in the stock to accommodate the action upper part
It doesnt feel like a short action when cycling it and you really need to pay attention and cycle right back to pick up the next round

not convinced, but glad to have learnt a but

and BH
yes they made several tactical sniper versions apparently

Back