Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning used brass

Cleaning used brass

I have just set up my reloading station. I had hoped to start reloading 9mm Para, then .222 Rem but will now start with .243 Win as I have new brass for this calibre. I have no shortage of used brass in the following calibres .222, .223, .243, 6.5x57, .308, 300WM. Do I need to invest in a tumbler?

Many thanks

/ There will be plenty more questions, so patience please!

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    I have just set up my reloading station. I had hoped to start reloading 9mm Para, then .222 Rem but will now start with .243 Win as I have new brass for this calibre. I have no shortage of used brass in the following calibres .222, .223, .243, 6.5x57, .308, 300WM. Do I need to invest in a tumbler? ..
    I bought a tumbler in 2006 and after it gathered dust for a while, I sent it back for a credit note. I do however use an ultrasonic cleaner. Once before resizing and as a final stage once all trimming and deburring is done.

Regards

​JCS

nope, you can clean with liquids, seaclean, or citric acid and washing up liquid for example, or abrasive pads (plastic not Brillo) or an ultrasonic cleaner etc
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Yes would be a good idea. Most people start with corn or walnut media. I am looking into water tumblers with stainless steel pin media, as they supplosedly clean up those annoying flasholes and inside of cases.

I like my ultrasonic cleaner. It was made for use in a dentists office cleaning dentures and will clean brass to a dull bare metal in about 2 cycles. (45 min) Primer pockets and all... and I hate cleaning primer pockets!~Muir

I wouldn't consider reloading without the tumbler.

Used cases are cleaned before further processing, this makes them easier to examine for defects and helps to keep the dies free of dirt.

Then the cases are tumbled again after resizing to remove any remaining lubricant.

My cases (SAKO) are generally discarded after 8-10 firings, I seldom have to do any additional primer pocket cleaning.

I have yet to try an ultrasonic cleaner so I couldn't say which method is best.

atb Tim

Thanks for the replies. I will look for a cleaner over the weekend.

I use both an ultrasonic cleaner and a tumbler with walnut media. The cases are put in the ultrasonic bath with a warm Seaclean solution for 8-10 mins, then deprimed, resized, trimmed, deburred and inspected. Then they're put in the tumbler for about 8 hours to remove any other fouling and residue and to polish them up before a further inspection prior to reloading.

The water and stainless media tumblers look very good and if I was starting out again I'd be very tempted by one.

I find shiny cases unnecessary. I can't understand the amount of effort people put into making then so.~Muir

it's a self discipline issue to me..clean brass means you take care of your reloading equipment and tools, you're going to produce more accurate loads, not get sloppy and cut corners, and exercise greater safety by having a strict cleaning and reloading regime.

cleaning cases also lets you visually inspect them better and identify and cracks or issues that render them dangerous

no, it's not necessary, nor is a clean barrel, nor is it to brush your teeth twice a day, or shower daily,,but..

I love the look of a shiney case, makes me feel good putting a round in the chamber..