Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: How do you reload for a straight pull rifle?

  1. #1

    How do you reload for a straight pull rifle?

    The other thread got me thinking. With a traditional turn bolt you can feel hard extraction and signs of pressure. How do you tell with a straight pull system?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    The other thread got me thinking. With a traditional turn bolt you can feel hard extraction and signs of pressure. How do you tell with a straight pull system?
    same thing, they still have to turn the lugs free and extract the case (yes I know some brands use expanding lugs that don't turn, but extraction still has to occur)
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

  3. #3
    In my experience I always full length resized with no adverse effects on accuracy but this was just .223

    no probs with extraction but cases are all tumbled and shiney
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

  4. #4
    I load for my turn bolts the same as for my blaser, still only neck size, never caused as issue.
    As for working up I don't know as no book load caused a problem, but the most accurate load came at the mid point, so I called that good enough.

    Neil.

  5. #5
    I load for a 7.5x55 and I always full length resize. I have not had any problems so far and some of my cases are onto there 6th reload

  6. #6
    Not all straight pulls are the same in camming for extraction. I didn't have a problem with the Mauser M96 Slide Bolt in 6.5x55 that I had. I did re-size some cases for the Schmidt-Rubin Model 1889 that I had the half dozen cases to fill a clip worked through the action just fine. The sized cases made up into dummy rounds went with the rifle to it's new home.

    Size the cases properly an really there should be no problems.

  7. #7
    Full resize brass is the best way to go with K31

    Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    I load for a 7.5x55 and I always full length resize. I have not had any problems so far and some of my cases are onto there 6th reload

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    In my experience I always full length resized with no adverse effects on accuracy but this was just .223

    no probs with extraction but cases are all tumbled and shiney
    As above

    ​Rick

  9. #9
    2p worth
    Attachment 33366i had a m4 shorty and ar10 both full length sized case's neck sized only would stick and give hard extraction

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    2p worth
    Attachment 33366i had a m4 shorty and ar10 both full length sized case's neck sized only would stick and give hard extraction

    Whats the bag on the right please?

Similar Threads

  1. Merkel Helix straight pull
    By blaire in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-08-2013, 15:28
  2. Straight pull
    By hottopic in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 12:30
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-06-2012, 11:45
  4. Mauser M96 Straight Pull
    By 375win in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-05-2011, 19:37
  5. Straight Pull
    By DL in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24-05-2008, 21:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •