Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on chest shots.

Question on chest shots.

Out with guest this week, 6.5x55. This guy has shot red, roe and lots of foxes with me, really reliable shot, consistent and very able. Last night, 2 youngish red stags, too close, 30/40 yards. First one facing us, he took it of the shoulder at base of neck, down like a ton of bricks, then up and vanished up hill like nothing wrong with it. Second one stood broadside, bang down and dead. Tonight another stag on edge of trees, 130 yds facing us, really good rest, loads of time, boy didn't have a clue, bang, into front of chest, ran down hill for 20 yds, stood looking real sick and collapsed behind a bank, we went over expecting to see him lying dead, not a sign and not a drop of blood. Dark beat us, will look in a.m.. My lad is now on serious downer, he's used to picking up what he shoots at, rifle bang on.

what bullet was he using ?? I had a similar experience when I had a 6.5X55 it didn't seem to put them down even with good solid chest chest,they were Sika but there not bullet proof,i put it doen to the bullet pencilling straight through which whne you look at the design of the bullet there like a spear,it put me right off that calibre.

Could be "hard" ammo not expanding on impact. Had this with a Highland hill stag last season but was lucky to get a second shot a bit later. Found the evidence after gralloch, just a finger hole in the lung.

diffifult to be sure without seeing angles etc

Base of neck - common issue with poorly place neck shots. misses spine and on a rutting stag it has lots of flesh at the base, goes down initially like a karate chop to the back of the neck, no significant blood loss and not enough shock imparted to the nervous system. gets back up and runs
    I much prefer upper neck shots, closer to the bone even if you miss the spine. several examples of dead beast and no spine break,

Front on - if you position it poorly you could in theory bisect the lungs and miss major arteries enough to leave a nasty wound but with not enough blood loss to bleed out internally.
    How high or low was the front on shot?
    The other aspect is front on at the same level and you risk a "reverse texas heart shot" as the bullet continues into the guts!
    downward angled front on, through lower neck and out through mid sternum is a good choice to avoid that, requires elevation though.

don't let it get him down
    ​I had a calf disappear as a kid from a poorly executed shot. it happens and you learn from it

it ain't the calibre that's the problem, it's either just bad luck, bad choice of bullet to speed ratio, or bad shot placement.

I've put deer down 'on the spot' collapse like a bag of potatoes with the .243 ten times in a row, then suddenly have 3 long runners in a row,,some things just can't be explained.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    should he not have gone after the first stag that he shot instead of shooting another????
    Anyway as already said it sounds like the bullet is not performing as it should, seems as though it probably isn't expanding properly .
    Try him with a different rifle if possible, might help re assert confidence.
    Last edited by monarman; 10-10-2013 at 21:01.

if your close to the beast the speed of the bullet seems to just push them straight through no expansion

It does sound like close shots are not expanding, would be interested to know what bullets are used. Hope you find him tomorrow,
    I shot a roe buck this weekend at 15 yards it was close and trees where a problem I usually kneck shoot at close range but chest shot this one bullet went in on heart shot it hit a rib on the other side and went straight downwards taking out the breast bone it did a standing gralloch and fell over bullets sometimes do the strangest of things,atb Wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 10-10-2013 at 21:05.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    should he not have gone after the first stag that he shot instead of shooting another????
    Anyway as already said it sounds like the bullet is not performing as it should, seems as though it probably isn't expanding properly .
    Try him with a different rifle if possible, might help re assert confidence.
    When the two ran up the hill we wrongly assumed it was a third, lot of cover and VERY quick.

I have only ever experienced over expansion and lack of exits on very short range shots (standard flat base soft points sub 40-50yds)

​what bullet designs and makes show the opposite?