Thread: Anyone use a dyed Swedish snow smock for stalking?

Anyone use a dyed Swedish snow smock for stalking?

I'm still on the hunt for something lightweight and showerproof that can be rolled up and kept in my roe sack in case of a storm without spending the earth. I came across the Swedish snow smocks that are easily dyed but am not sure what they are like material wise.

Any thoughts as I don't see the point spending a wedge on something that will spend most of it's time in the dark!!

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Yes, me. Very good bit of basic kit. Word of warning, they're huge. All my normal jackets are sized XL. The Swedish smock I have is a large and it's very "roomy".
    If you need it to be water resistant, you'll have to treat it with nik-wax or similar. The cotton they are made from is tightly woven and wind proof.
    I got mine a couple of months ago off e-bay and it's now my regular stalking jacket.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 11-10-2013 at 19:51.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    lightweight and showerproof
    There used to be a workwear manufacturer called Rain Tech that sold lightweight, WP, breathable jacket & trousers, 100% PU with polyester coasting, they did them in solid green with no flashings for a short time but then went back to black for their main industrial market.

Worth looking out for as they are remarkably silent, although not thorn proof.

I know I'll get [s]mocked for owning up to this but these days I mainly wear hi viz for my peri-urban deer work ; gives the locals confidence and the deer certainly can't see you !

As Harry says, most arctic type snow stuff is only windproof and not usually waterproof. It doesn't have to be as all the water is frozen! Army issued gore-tex waterproof jacket rolls up small and is extremely waterproof. Not totally silent, but neither is the rain!
    MS

[QUOTE=Harry mac;664079]Yes, me. Very good bit of basic kit. Word of warning, they're huge. All my normal jackets are sized XL. The Swedish smock I have is a large and it's very "roomy".
    If you need it to be water resistant, you'll have to treat it with nik-wax or similar. The cotton they are made from is tightly woven and wind proof.
    I got mine a couple of months ago off e-bay and it's now my regular stalking jacket.

any tips for dyeing the little darlings?

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Endicotts have dyed ones in stock : http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component...etail?Itemid=0 S

[QUOTE=marrajack;664846]
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post

any tips for dyeing the little darlings?
    Either buy Dylon and follow the instructions, or follow the link to Endicot's as it doesn't seem to cost any more pre-dyed and they've gon to all the trouble for you.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

i have one for sale on bushcraft uk dyed green

​greenshoots

Buy a fleck tarn goretex German army jacket they pack down small and are excellent
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions