Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with flight pond.

Problems with flight pond.

Hi, thought I'd come here to see if any one would have any input on a little problem I am having

got a decent sized flight pond, been feeding it since early august and watched the numbers build up and up till we reached the point where we were counting 150 ducks on there on an average evening or coming in, any way shot it once all went well numbers started to pick up as you would expect then suddenly the numbers started to drop no wheat was being eaten till it's got to the point where not a single duck has been on there for a good week now, have been watching prints in the mud around the pond quickly worked out a fox had made a few visits but took one trip with the rifle to get rid of her, set a couple of mink traps no joy yet over the past few days I am lost for a reason why the ducks would have vanished and even more lost for a cure as I'd like to see them return! A friend suggested maybe an otter has made its way up from the river and moved in to some reed beds the farmer uses for slurry Above the pond but to me that sounds very unlikely firstly the river (which is part of the Sussex Ouse) is just over a mile down the valley and secondly I fish a stretch of the river down stream and have never seen or heard of otters on that part of the river although I do know of a man made otter holt further down stream but I assume that is to encourage them more than anything, any way any input on what may be the cause of this or any miracle cures would be much appreciated cheers

​teddy

Has the water level dropped at all?

No it's been at a pretty constant level all summer through till now

Probably getting food elsewhere - don't worry 150 will remember it when they are hungry again. Don't over feed it in the meantime as the corn will stagnate the pond.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    How often are you shooting it and what are you feeding?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Been feeding it as and when it needs topping up, and have only managed to shoot it once this season in the morning but only shot 4 birds. Been feeding mainly wheat but have some oats and some barley and the farmer occasionally puts sweepings in there for us when he has some he wants rid of

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I used to have a little flight pond that relied on wild ducks to populate it.
    It was very fickle, but I found that you could over feed it.
    First of all I only used barley. Second I only used to feed in the week running up to when I wanted to shoot it (normally for 5x days)
    And lastly I only used to shoot it every 2x weeks.
    This worked but I did find that flighting was hugely dependant on there being rubbish weather around
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Ducks are a law unto themselves. Assuming these are all wild, the problem could lie elsewhere, it doesn't sound as if you are doing anything wrong however they could be being shot in other areas.
    As has been said keep feed there and when the weather gets harder they will probably be back

Not even started to feed one of my ponds yet as historically it won't produce till we get frosts too many stubbles about Ect my reared duck are pulling in wild birds on other ponds but I won't touch them till the reared are fit to shoot .
    be patient !
    ​Norma

Cheers guys, v helpful! Was just worrying due to the sudden drop in numbers

​t