Thread: moderator weight

Cool moderator weight

I'm still looking for a mod but have been wondering is weight a factor to look at, I'm thinking that more weight would keep the muzzle down making for more accuracy or is there no difference?

Anyone selling a mod with 14 /1 thread?

Cheers Leon

Muzzle flip and recoil are realised long after the bullet has gone! Most moderators will reduce both. There are some very good lightweight mods available now which perform as well as the older and much larger models. I'm not convinced that the titanium or alloy ones will stand the test of time due to the nature of the metal though. I have recently gone for the ASE Utra SL5 which is very short and light, but made of stainless steel. They aren't cheap, but will unduobtedy last.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Muzzle flip and recoil are realised long after the bullet has gone! Most moderators will reduce both. There are some very good lightweight mods available now which perform as well as the older and much larger models. I'm not convinced that the titanium or alloy ones will stand the test of time due to the nature of the metal though. I have recently gone for the ASE Utra SL5 which is very short and light, but made of stainless steel. They aren't cheap, but will unduobtedy last.
    MS
    Spot on, the A-tec gets my vote thought not as hard wearing as the stainless.
    Horses for courses springs to mind.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

+1 for the ASE Utra does the job well on my .270

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    MS
    You are right one will realise recoil and muzzle flip after the bullet has left the barrel, however a rifle that is not balanced on the line of recoil will have muzzle flip before the bullet has left the barrel. Amount of muzzle flip will be determined by weight of rifle/barrel/moderator, bullet weight/speed and how far the centre of gravity of the rifle is "off". The rifle starts moving when the bullet starts moving out of the cartridge upon ignition. So in theory a heavier moderator will increase consistency somewhat on a standard rifle by reducing upward travel of muzzle before the bullet leaves the barrel. With a well balanced rifle it would make no difference. I choose the lightest possible moderators for my hunting rifles.
    edi

I've just got a hardy mod less than 1/2weight of t8 put 30rounds through it noisier and .less recoil than a t8 the t8is heavy but still a very hard act to beat
    ​ Atb Tom Leon my hary is a 14x you could try a few rounds if you like
    Last edited by tom reveley; 12-10-2013 at 22:56.

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    I've just got a hardy mod less than 1/2weight of t8 put 30rounds through it noisier and .less recoil than a t8 the t8is heavy but still a very hard act to beat
    ​ Atb Tom Leon my hary is a 14x you could try a few rounds if you like
    i have also got a Hardy for my 270, absolutely brilliant, almost don't know it's on my rifle. I have got a north star which is definitely quieter than the hardy but A LOT HEAVIER.

I will keep the North Star but realistically will always pick up the hardy due to the weight, it is only 290 grams vs 700 grams.

Cheers

Cheers for the replies lads, so too much weight could ruin the balance and affect certain rifles performing ? Will have to try a few maybe, got a t8 on my 22-250 but threads different on the .243,