Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After a new stalking jacket

After a new stalking jacket

Hi there, I am after a new stalking jacket and I am wondering whether anyone can point me in the direction of a good one for the job.. Versatile, good value for money, comfortable, etc

Cheers,

Joe

I keep saying this but...

Army surplus windproof smock - great pockets, hard wearing, designed for ourdoor use, available in a range of cammo patterns (usually DPM and MTP) plus green and black sometimes. Wash some waterproofing into it and it is waterproof for most stalking applications and conditions, certainly low land or forestry stalking.

Add a German flecktarn or British DPM Gore-Tex waterproof jacket, again mil surplus, and you have a totally waterproof layer. If the weather is so bad you really need 100% waterproof (I wear my windproof smocks probably a minimum of 100 days a year in forestry and Scottish hill and only add the gore-tex maybe once or twice per year) then put the gore-tex layer on UNDER the windproof smock. This means you keep all your pockets and remain quiet but you are totally waterproof. Add insulating layers as required depending on temperature, the smocks are relatively light and the dyes used in the MTP pattern are said to he designed to reflect heat from the sun to keep the wearer cool so they are just as good on warm days as cold ones.

There are people on ebay asking crazy prices for windproof smocks but bid on one your size with a 99p starting price and keep bidding until you get one for 10 - 15 or less if you are careful. It might take you a week or two but there are literally hundreds of them on there, with lots being added every day so don't be temped to pay over the odds. You will probably have to pay in the region of 20 - 30 for the gore-tex layer. Either way you end up kitted out with a versatile clothing system that is ideal for stalking and designed for crawling about in the countryside in bad weather for less than 50.

I do have a few high end Musto coats etc. so I use the smocks because they are simply the best thing for the job especially for forestry and low land stalking.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I've always used Deerhunter Montana. Based on a 3 layer system which can be adapted to the weather and temperature. You can still get them and generally at a reduced price. Great jacket system for the money.
    MS

Spend as much cash as you dare, don't expect 100 jacket to do the job. I would recommend a Musto Whisper or Harkila pro hunter. In my opinion quality kit just removes the decision making for the day which means you are happy from the start. 2 or 15 degrees i wear a shirt and then a quality jacket on the hill and control my body temp with the zip, hat and gloves. Hope the advice helps your decision making.

Cheap over jacket with decent layers underneath.

SEALS jacket from Canada for me on top

Arcteryx light and waterproof jacket under that and base layers beneath this works for me and has done for years.

Country Covers are pretty good. I bought the Falklands one, but if it were for stalking only the smock would be pretty good. Otherwise Caorach is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I keep saying this but...

Army surplus windproof smock - great pockets, hard wearing, designed for ourdoor use, available in a range of cammo patterns (usually DPM and MTP) plus green and black sometimes. Wash some waterproofing into it and it is waterproof for most stalking applications and conditions, certainly low land or forestry stalking.

Add a German flecktarn or British DPM Gore-Tex waterproof jacket, again mil surplus, and you have a totally waterproof layer. If the weather is so bad you really need 100% waterproof (I wear my windproof smocks probably a minimum of 100 days a year in forestry and Scottish hill and only add the gore-tex maybe once or twice per year) then put the gore-tex layer on UNDER the windproof smock. This means you keep all your pockets and remain quiet but you are totally waterproof. Add insulating layers as required depending on temperature, the smocks are relatively light and the dyes used in the MTP pattern are said to he designed to reflect heat from the sun to keep the wearer cool so they are just as good on warm days as cold ones.

There are people on ebay asking crazy prices for windproof smocks but bid on one your size with a 99p starting price and keep bidding until you get one for 10 - 15 or less if you are careful. It might take you a week or two but there are literally hundreds of them on there, with lots being added every day so don't be temped to pay over the odds. You will probably have to pay in the region of 20 - 30 for the gore-tex layer. Either way you end up kitted out with a versatile clothing system that is ideal for stalking and designed for crawling about in the countryside in bad weather for less than 50.

I do have a few high end Musto coats etc. so I use the smocks because they are simply the best thing for the job especially for forestry and low land stalking.

Can you post me a link to one of the wind proof smocks mate, so we know
    exactly what your referring to .. i'm a bit of a convert to ex military gear
    these days, I've found that you can get some top quality kit for a fraction of
    the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    Can you post me a link to one of the wind proof smocks mate,
    I will post some links off ebay, these are just random links to show what the jackets look like so I've no idea if these particular ones are a good buy or not. What I will say is to only bid on really inexpensive ones and not to pay more than 10 - 15 for them, if you are careful you can often get one for less than a tenner. On ebay people are often asking crazy money for them, I've seen them at 120. If you want to pay big money for one then look at the Arktis/Country Covers ones as I'm sure they are well made though they are, basically, exactly the same as the surplus ones.

New generation MTP smock:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1-MTP-PCS-ARMY-ISSUE-WINDPROOF-SMOCK-MK2-180-112-SUPERB-SMOCK-JACKET-/200971903938?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash= item2ecadbe3c2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Ar...item1c37ac9936

Older DPM smocks:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Genuine-Issue-DPM-Camouflage-Windproof-Smock-in-New-Condition-/180736429472?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash= item2a14bb0da0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180-112-Smock-Combat-Windproof-Woodland-DPM-GRADE-1-Wired-Hood-/400587939340?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash= item5d44e6de0c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-NAVY-ARMY-AIR-FORCE-COMBAT-WINDPROOF-WOODLAND-DPM-SMOCK-/290995334555?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash= item43c0ac6d9b

My experience, for what it is worth, is that the older DPM jackets are good jackets and they seem to take the wash in waterproofing well. By and large they are all pretty much of the same design as the design was fairly fixed in recent years as they'd been about a long time. They have 4 main pockets on the front - two chest and two at waist level - plus two large zipped "map pockets" on the chest. The hood is good and as advertised they are windproof in all but the worst conditions. The zips tend to be good, and reliable. The cammo pattern is a little dark, and gets darker when wet, and I suspect it is probably too dark for most stalking. Despite this I usually have one with me and would wear it on occasions for stalking and most of the time when trout fishing.

The MTP smocks, the new lighter coloured cammo pattern, have undergone a number of changes since they first appeared a few years back. The first version was a bit like the DPM smock but was made of a softer material, then there was a 2nd generation and I suspect that in between there were a range of jackets with some of the 2nd generation features. My experience was that the material used in the first generation MTP smocks was very prone to wear but was relatively quiet and both wind and waterproof, when treated, to a reasonable degree. The new generation MTP smocks are like a commercial jacket with handwarmer pockets, mesh lining and pit zips. While this might appear nice to have it seems more of a fiddle to me and I'd prefer if they made the old DPM jackets but with an MTP print. Maybe I just like what I'm used to :-) The zips on the new jackets appear less reliable than on the DPM ones but a local lady here, and probably somewhere in your area, can replace them for a few quid should they fail so a broken zip is not the end of the jacket. They have 4 front bellows type pockets plus two zipped "map pockets" on the chest which are now mesh lined (a pain as things get caught in the mesh and I worry about things wearing through the mesh and getting dropped) and also two small pockets on the sleeve which are idea for lens cleaning wipes and similar.

I find the MTP pattern very good on mixed ground where, in my view, it can be almost invisible. Where it might not be so good would be against dark sitka spruce type woodland especially in low light but as most of us stalk the margins among the dead grass etc. this is probably not such a big problem.

Here are some photos, firstly tweed, solid green, solid brown and MTP jackets in some woodland:

Now some photos of the differences between the MTP smocks.

This is the inside of the 1st gen MTP smock - note no mesh lining:

This is a pocket on the old 1st gen MTP smock - note exposed buttons which are covered in the new versions:

This is the sleeve of the old MTP smock and you can see the exposed velcro for the attachment of various badges:

This is the inside of the new 2nd generation MTP smocks and as you can see it is, in part, mesh lined:

As well as being mesh lined the new smocks also have handwarmer pockets which are behind the main waist level pockets on the jacket. This is the fleece handwarmer pocket viewed from the inside of the jacket:

The pocket buttons are covered to stop them getting caught in things, or to keep them from banging against stuff:

Plus they now have a pocket on each sleeve and the velcro is usually covered by a "blanking plate" patch (taken off for the photo) which stops bits of twig and stuff getting caught in the velcro as happened with the older version of the smock:

They even have pit zips!! I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time:

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I have tried most makes harkila, nomad, etc but the jacket I wear all the time now is a browning XPO light this is light you can add a fleece if you want , I don't use the others now just this one.

regards chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    I have tried most makes harkila, nomad, etc but the jacket I wear all the time now is a browning XPO light this is light you can add a fleece if you want , I don't use the others now just this one.

regards chris
    Browning HydroFleece, now that stuff is excellent, I can attest to this , as I was sat in a flooded ditch outside a farm on Arran, trying to jack up a lost Landie, water was running, just not in my keks!, I got wet from the rain storm that arrived on top of the ice layer on the road.

Overnight Parking On Arran Photo by stevenarthurlatham | Photobucket
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!