Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now i`m really pissed off.

Now i`m really pissed off.

Something that is always close to me is our Armed Forces where ever they are in the world.
    Tonight we hear that whilst our serving members put their lives on the line for us all the "snouts in the trough" brigade are getting 47 million in bonuses.
    There is no lower limit that this government will not stoop too.
    Sorry people, i had to say something.
    basil.

Been watching other stuff tonight Basil,

Divulge -

Tom

Basil
    i agree mate
    this lot are far worse then any others i can remember
    they have been allowed toget away with it
    and now it seems that all they want to do
    is line their own pockets

Sorry guys, got to play devils advocate here... I wholeheartedly agree with you if the only people getting bonuses are those already on 6-figure salaries, but (and I don't know the full story so apologies if this is not the case) many people have a performance-related bonus as part of their salary package; often those on relatively low wages who depend on making that (non-guaranteed) bonus in order to pay their bills and feed their families...

I'm in the telecomms business so not related to this stuff, but even our lower paid guys can get a 10% bonus if they meet their targets, and believe me, they work damn hard to earn it.

There's rarely one side to a story....

Don't get me wrong here, I have no love for the current govt but I think you'll find that those bonus's weren't spent on fat cat civil servants, but rather on admin staff and general staff.

Some of those admin staff earned less than 15k a year and given the current economic climate, I'm sure you wouldn't begrudge them getting something for providing the time and effort spent in meeting targets and processing information etc. as well as attempting to save both time and money to help our boys and girls out on the front line.

The 47M doesn't come from the defence budget either, so its not an excuse to start the old "well, we know why are lads/lasses don't have all the gear" threads.
    Grant you in that 47M you'll find a few lumps that will make it stick in your throat, but in the main it is my understanding (Unless some new info has come out that i haven't seen) that this is going to the general staff.

SS

Indeed Pippa, I think the "outrage bus" should be parked up on this one.

MoD civil servants get a performance related bonus, MANDATED by the HM Treasury, why? because it's non taxable so it does not count towards the pensionable salary, so the bonus actually saves the govt money, at the expense of the civil servants, who,by the way, would much rather have a slightly better salary than a bonus. Most CSs get a bonus of about 250.

Their pay is shocking too, I wear green for a living, my current post puts me in contact with loads of CS, in fact ,my line manager is a C2 grade, who earns about 9k/yr LESS than me, despite being head of a seection and having been in the job for 25yrs.

So as Pippa says, 2 sides to every story and don't believe what you see in the press, especially with an election coming up.

Here's a quote from a BBC news item:- makes disturbing reading, given the number of young British lives being sacrificed!
    Quote"The MoD employs 85,000 civil servants - one for every two active armed forces personnel. Its figures showed a total of 287,809,049 had been paid out in bonuses since 2003 - the year Britain went to war in Iraq." Unquote
    I support the troops that are out there, but not the politicians who chose to send them!!
    Pete.

"Here's a quote from a BBC news item:- makes disturbing reading, given the number of young British lives being sacrificed!
    Quote"The MoD employs 85,000 civil servants - one for every two active armed forces personnel. Its figures showed a total of 287,809,049 had been paid out in bonuses since 2003 - the year Britain went to war in Iraq." Unquote
    I support the troops that are out there, but not the politicians who chose to send them!!
    Pete."

Why is that disturbing?

The 2:1 ratio makes perfect sense, the CS range from Sir Humphrey down to the bloke that changes the urinal mints in the barrack toilets. The vast majority of the MoD CS do small admin type jobs (at a fraction of the salary of trained soldiers), are you suggesting putting soldiers in all those jobs?

The whole (non)story is being trumpeted in the media to sell papers/make political capital etc etc. That they stoop to asking loaded questions of bereaved families is what should really make your piss boil.

Quote Originally Posted by BwchDanas
    are you suggesting putting soldiers in all those jobs?
    The whole (non)story is being trumpeted in the media to sell papers/make political capital etc etc. That they stoop to asking loaded questions of bereaved families is what should really make your piss boil.
    NO what I'm suggesting is that they should not be out there in the first place!!
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind
    NO what I'm suggesting is that they should not be out there in the first place!!
    Pete.
    No argument there, but that doesn't match the story you quoted, which is where I seem to have crossed wires