Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can i let friend use my rifle?

Can i let friend use my rifle?

hi,im after a bit of advice please.A friend who does not have a fac has asked to come out shooting with me on my permission.my question is can i let him use my rifle under my supervision?

atb
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by 3skins View Post
    hi,im after a bit of advice please.A friend who does not have a fac has asked to come out shooting with me on my permission.my question is can i let him use my rifle under my supervision?

atb
    pete
    i think you can under direct supervision

Yes you can

Some see this as a grey area. I would read the home office guidelines yourself. I don't know if it has been clarified with the recent amendments but it will be under the 'estate rifle' heading. Will post a link tomorrow if I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by 3skins View Post

atb
    pete
    Yes you can Pete. But you both must be able to communicate to one another with verbal instructions.
    He can be sitting in one hide and you in another side by side even though you cannot see one another you can still communicate.
    Or either side of an hedge.
    All`s explained in Chapter 6 6.14 section 11(5) Exemptions From The Requirement To Hold A Certificate.
    Through to 6.23 section 9(2) hope this helps.

One of the best pieces of advice I've seen on the forum in a long time - Tack270 . SD members are a helpful bunch, but the buck ultimately stops with you

The Estate rifle provision appear to apply - but check direct. Also check if age is an issue - 17 years or older etc.

If Ive copied link correctly, the first two PDFs from BASC website should steer you right.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/search-website.cfm

E
    dit! Nope! Drat drat and double drat Mutley... too early/ no caffeine. Put Estate Rifles into the search box on that page.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

As per above posts, if it were me there is no way I would hand a rifle to someone and be too far away to not see exactly what they are doing with it and not be able to exercise an element of control. If something did go wrong you are suddenly unable to offer an explanation as to what exactly caused it. Then consideration has to be given to whether your decision was a good one to allow them to control that rifle etc etc

i would also look at insurance cover if you plan to allow someone else to use your rifle. The policy may well cover you when the rifle is being used by you, but if you hand it to a guest and they are uninsured, as the mentor but not with your hands on the trigger are you still covered?

3skins as has already been indicated by others it may be possible using the "estate rifle" exemption, however you need to read and clearly understand this rule. Once again as others have said you need to read the relevant section of the Guidance to Police document which is pinned on this website and/or the guidance that BASC give.

jamross makes an excellent point about insurance.
    Personally I believe that a lot of shooters who exercise the "estate rifle" rule have probably erred in law in some way and could be leaving themselves wide open if something goes wrong . Likewise the number of stalkers who take "clients" out without holding the correct business insurance is also quite high. It can be a bit of a minefield really.
    Last edited by 8x57; 13-10-2013 at 08:17.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Hi,thanks for your replies.like you say,its a grey área.ive no problem letting him shoot as regards safety as hes shot before and has ngo insurance and is plenty old enough.theres also no chance of me not being right next to him when hes using it.just wondered where i stand legally.thanks for your help chaps.

Atb

pete

The SGA now have an upgraded policy that covers taking guests out for a limited number of days per year, I would imagine the underwriters included aspects of lending rifles to these guests as well. It's not expensive either.