Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaniel Worried

Spaniel Worried

My partner was walking our Springer on the lead round the village last night when a German Shepherd ran out of a house, down the garden, out of the open gate and attacked him on the pavement.
    Sam was pinned to the ground and the Shepherd had him by the hind quarters and shook him like a terrier worrying a rat and Sam’s not a small Springer weighing in at 30 kg. he was for want of a better word was screaming.
    The Shepherd was taken away by the owner who just said “Sorry”
    I believe this is not the first instance of it attacking other dogs and a lady who used to walk it gave it up as the dog was unmanageable.
    I have owned several shepherds including a problem rescue who originally killed sheep and I am sure the problem is the owner and the dogs bored and has nothing to do. However this does not solve the problem.
    A part from the obvious and correcting the animal’s mineral deficiency with 40gr of expanding supplement’s any ideas of a way forward.

I am sorry to hear that. I had a springer that was attacked in our own garden by a rotweiler cross. He was picked up and shook like a rag doll. The owner was the type of person who had trouble counting up to 10, but liked to punch things. I was so wound up I threatened to put him in hospital(this is out of caricature).
    This wont help in your case, but have you a local police officer. Have a chat with them. You might find other people already have complained.

From a shepherd owner who has had to have destroyed thier beloved 4 1/2 yr old dog it would only be a matter of time before the gsd killed another dog .i was fortunate that mine tried to kill my lab pup right in front of me ,the pup sustaining large injuries including a broken leg .i was right on top of the incident and we took the action we did to stop another dog or even a child being hurt .this dog was the softest dog you could imagine BUT gsd 's have the capabilities to do massive damage no matter how good you think they are and it broke our hearts to destroy him .
    we have his sister still and other gun dogs to ease the pain .
    speak to the owners I don't know what the outcome would be but if it's not to your satisfaction speak to the local council .at the very least it should be muzzled !
    Regards
    norma
    ​please no comments about we should have had our gsd rehomed Ect .thanks N
    Last edited by norma 308; 13-10-2013 at 07:45.

I would make a complaint to the police and insist that they follow it up. This sort of thing is a real problem in the UK these days and people seem to think that it's ok to keep a large (potentially dangerous) dog which they cannot control. I would also get the dog to the vet for a check over and send them the bill.

GSD are a powerful dog as we all know, I'd be inclined to report the incident to the police. Could you live with yourself if the dog does it again and it mauls a child? I have a GSD he's 4 years old, he ignores other dogs and sheep but the potential is there if the dog wasn't under strict control.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
    GSD are a powerful dog as we all know, I'd be inclined to report the incident to the police. Could you live with yourself if the dog does it again and it mauls a child? I have a GSD he's 4 years old, he ignores other dogs and sheep but the potential is there if the dog wasn't under strict control.
    Good point. As a child (about 10yrs old) I was badly bitten on the upper arm (lifted to defend my face) by a Doberman but I loved dogs and told the owner that it wasn't the dogs fault and so they kept it. Two weeks later the dog mauled a toddler and had to be destroyed........

It is a terrible thing to happen. Unfortunately it has been my experience that the polic will take o action against a dog unless a human is bitten, or the offending dog is shot by a farmer, who will then find himself in court.

My lab pup was bitten badly by a spring panel whilst walking in a public place. The pup was off the lead, the springer was not. Fortunately the sprinters' owner was nearby. My (at the time) gigirlfriend nd I challenged him an got his address. We the took the lab to the vets. £120 later he has permanent injury which results in lameness wen he is worked hard. I took a letter and a copy of the vets bill to the address given to me by the other owner. Unfortunately he called the police and they responded by telling me to cease all contact with him otherwise I would b on a harassment charge, which would jepardise my FAC and military career. They flatly refused to take any action what so ever about the spaniel being dangerously out of control in a public place. If there are impartial witneses to what happened, then you may wish to consider a civil action through the county court, small claims fasttrack.

Alternatively/in addition, always carry a legal 3" non locking blade and be prepard to follow this mans example;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fight-dog.html

Quote Originally Posted by unlacedgecko View Post
    It is a terrible thing to happen. Unfortunately it has been my experience that the polic will take o action against a dog unless a human is bitten, or the offending dog is shot by a farmer, who will then find himself in court.

My lab pup was bitten badly by a spring panel whilst walking in a public place. The pup was off the lead, the springer was not. Fortunately the sprinters' owner was nearby. My (at the time) gigirlfriend nd I challenged him an got his address. We the took the lab to the vets. £120 later he has permanent injury which results in lameness wen he is worked hard. I took a letter and a copy of the vets bill to the address given to me by the other owner. Unfortunately he called the police and they responded by telling me to cease all contact with him otherwise I would b on a harassment charge, which would jepardise my FAC and military career. They flatly refused to take any action what so ever about the spaniel being dangerously out of control in a public place. If there are impartial witneses to what happened, then you may wish to consider a civil action through the county court, small claims fasttrack.

Alternatively/in addition, always carry a legal 3" non locking blade and be prepard to follow this mans example;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fight-dog.html
    sorry but you are the one at fault here. It is your dog not under control. Having worked with many rescue springers and other breads, a dog on lead is easily threatened by a free runner. I have seen many placid dogs defend themselves when approached for play purely because of the lead. Off lead you would have seen a different dog. If my dogs are off lead I will always bring them in if someone has a dog nearby on lead purely for that reason. Jim.

Personal opinion here that gsd SHOULD NOT be muzzeled! muzzels exacerbate the problam and make the dog more dog agresive as the dog has lost way of defence. And ther for is put under more stress and strain so the behavour gets worse. Iv re educated loads of dogs in the past. it needs to be socialized with other dogs but in a very controled way and corrected in the propper manor when it behaves the wrong way. You also need to report this to the police as there is a chance the dog has a history of this behavour and may already be on a warning list the police and courts do have to respond it wont be a quick response but the will come round when the can. This has the potential to go horribly wrong as others likee myself let their kids walk their dog hold the leads ect ect. is it worth talking to the owner or are they that unreasonable? Explain your fears and that your dog is laim now the cost to you loss of picking up vets bills ect ect you may find they have already taken action

Good luck adrian

After recent events concerning dog attacks, including dog on other dogs, the police are starting to wake up to the fact that it is a serious problem, and are taking action, but you have to make them aware, they are not ignoring things, Our now since departed rescued Greyhound was involved in a very similar attack, big Dalmation launched down it's path & out the gate fastening its jaws on our dogs throat, lucky for our dog, the owner was very quick to Paula's aid & removed his dog, lucky for his dog I was not present, Basil had twenty or so stitches & some anti bio's, we gave the neighbours the vet's bill & they have been very careful with their dog ever since, I'm sure I saw a community support officer visit them the day after the event, so others must have seen what happened.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!