Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka 595 rings

Tikka 595 rings

i have myself a Tikka 595 in .243. Got a Zeiss 8x56 on top. Happy with the gun i got but im having some issues with getting a consistent group. ive taken the whole gun apart, cleaned and tightened everything. tryed zero again. tryed screws on my rings and they were not as tight as they was before. so kind of lost all confindence in them. they are leupold rings and bases i got when i purchased the rifle. i have come to conclusion this is the first thing i will try because barrel seems fresh, scope is from a resonable reliable maker. so rather than jump in id like to try the rings first see if there is some movement after firing.

so question is what kind of rings would you suggest for above set up? im not very gd with this sort of stuff knowing if i need high mediums or even extra high rings. just gets me confused.so any help would be considered. eg. optiloc, warne or any others kinds? i

i dont want o spend crazy amounts of money on the because i dont have it too spend.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Optilock mediums
    ​job done
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Hi Pablo,
    I've just taken the same scope off my 595, I think the rings/mounts were Leupolds as well (will check)
    - had no probs holding zero ever since they were put on.
    cheers, Tedward.

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Optilock mediums
    ​job done
    cheers for that. so do i need set of bases for these aswel?

thanks. yeah these have windage screw at the back mount and it keeps going slack. just not very impressed by them at all. so there first things to go.

Might get away with Optilock Lows.... that's what I've got on my .17Rem 595/Swaro Z6i 2.5-15x56... outside measurement of the Objective is 62mm and there's a nice gnats wotsit between that and the barrel - too small to get a Butler Creek on even (but they all broke anyway!)

Yep... you need the bases too.

Fitted the Photon/doubler to it yesterday..... thought I might get away with Extra Low's but the ocular housing fouls the top of the base so it's in a pair of Low's. But it's still good for cheek weld.

Cheers

​Fizz
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 13-10-2013 at 12:28.

Leupold rings shouldn't be too bad but personally in your case I would have opted for Optilock mounts as I think they are worth the extra money. Have you checked the security of the bases you have fitted? Have you eliminated the possibility that the scope may be at fault first before you go to additional cost? Do you have another scope that you know is free of fault that you can use even if you have to borrow it for a day or so.
    If you do finally decide to replace your mounts you can expect a host of different suggestions from site members mainly based on personal preferences varying from Sportsmatch (British and good value for money) through to Optilock with Warne thrown in in the middle. Warne are O.K. but once again personal preference comes into play and I don't like vertically split rings.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Leupold rings shouldn't be too bad but personally in your case I would have opted for Optilock mounts as I think they are worth the extra money. Have you checked the security of the bases you have fitted? Have you eliminated the possibility that the scope may be at fault first before you go to additional cost? Do you have another scope that you know is free of fault that you can use even if you have to borrow it for a day or so.
    If you do finally decide to replace your mounts you can expect a host of different suggestions from site members mainly based on personal preferences varying from Sportsmatch (British and good value for money) through to Optilock with Warne thrown in in the middle. Warne are O.K. but once again personal preference comes into play and I don't like vertically split rings.

yes ive had this scope on my .222 before this and it wasnt a problem on there. possibly an avenue to try like you say. i could get another scope and try it on and see. even if i did buy the mounts and it is my scope thats knackered ill jst buy another scope that fits the mounts i bought. think my minds made up that these mounts are not very god and must go after finding that screw has loosened. doesnt fill me of confidence for future.

I take it that we are talking about bases with the counter opposing screws, in which case you have ensured that both are tight before you shoot. A drop of srewlock or even nail varnish on the threads may be one solution and will indeed tell you if this is what is causing the problem.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I take it that we are talking about bases with the counter opposing screws, in which case you have ensured that both are tight before you shoot. A drop of srewlock or even nail varnish on the threads may be one solution and will indeed tell you if this is what is causing the problem.

​Thanks for the advice. Ill give that a go first then.