Thread: How many uses before they need changed?

How many uses before they need changed?

Just started using the lee loaders and I was just wondering - with conservative charges how many uses do you usually get before you replace the brass or full length resize and bump the shoulders back?

the 2 calibers I am reloading is 243win and 30/06.

regards,
    Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Just started using the lee loaders and I was just wondering - with conservative charges how many uses do you usually get before you replace the brass or full length resize and bump the shoulders back?

the 2 calibers I am reloading is 243win and 30/06.

regards,
    Gixer
    There's no telling. Depends on the brass, the rifle and the loads. You'll know when it gets stiff. For what it's worth, I have some 30-06 cases I have loaded with just the Lee Loader and I'm on the 8th go round. These were using the Lee Dipper and 4895 powder. I trim at ever loading.~Muir

Not done as many as 8 but my pal is on his 9th load and that is with ppu brass that is in 270

Well, as stated above it depends. My 38 Spl cases are good for 20 or more loads. However, the 300 win mag cases only last 1 or 2 reloads before the primer pockets become oversize and the primers are loose.
    .243 is quite high pressure so won't last as long as the 30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    Just started using the lee loaders and I was just wondering - with conservative charges how many uses do you usually get before you replace the brass or full length resize and bump the shoulders back?...
    I've some 260 Rem cases that have reached 10 firings and some 243 Win cases that reached nine firings. I'm fairly sure my 260 Rem brass will get well into double figures before the primer pockets get too loose. However I do full length resize after every firing and anneal after every fourth firing.

However, it's really down to what you do and how well you look after your brass.

Regards

​JCS

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    However, the 300 win mag cases only last 1 or 2 reloads before the primer pockets become oversize and the primers are loose.
    dodgy, if you are scrapping 300WM cases because of loose primer pockets after one or two reloads you seriously need to review your loads my friend, the phrase "over pressure" comes to mind.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Not done as many as 8 but my pal is on his 9th load and that is with ppu brass that is in 270
    Funny you mentioned that. I've got some PPU 6.5x55 that has had that many loadings with no signs of quitting.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    However, the 300 win mag cases only last 1 or 2 reloads before the primer pockets become oversize and the primers are loose.

What are you running them at!?? and for what benefit?

I have .222, .243, .270 all with up to 10 firings with norma brass. none has been annealed yet
    The 300WM is Remington and it is on at least 3-5 firings and shows no signs of work hardening or slack pockets