Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Anyone Need A Keeper?

  1. #1

    Anyone Need A Keeper?

    I just had a very sad call from one of the keepers I've been helping out. He had a massive shoot to look after - well over 5,000 acres, and he was doing it all on his own. He did a fantastic job, but the poor bloke worked himself into the ground (even though he's still in his twenties) for precious little thanks from the owners. To cut a long story short, he left yesterday.

    Since I don't want to fall out with anyone, I'm not going to name any of those involved or mention any of the details, but I would like to put the good man forward if anyone needs a highly-recommended keeper at short notice. He is the most conscientious chap you could hope to have looking after your birds, and all the farmers on the shoot think he's marvellous.

    So - if you know of a keeper - perhaps for reasons of poor health, who needs assistance or replacing please PM me and I'll put you in touch. He's open to working anywhere in the country and is available at short notice.

  2. #2
    I wish you luck but it is a rather awkward time of year to be losing or taking on a keeper.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I wish you luck but it is a rather awkward time of year to be losing or taking on a keeper.
    Thanks - I agree that the timing is terrible, but he had little choice but to go for reasons that I won't go into here. Suffice it to say that few of us would have stayed as long as he did...

  4. #4
    Does he have any qualies?, if not he could go to college as a mature student.Most shoots now need them with all the tickets for quad etc.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Does he have any qualies?, if not he could go to college as a mature student.Most shoots now need them with all the tickets for quad etc.
    As far as I know, he has all the pieces of paper he could need.

  6. #6
    Surely he would have been better off grinding it out while looking for something else but it looks like he`s burned those bridges.
    There`s loads of young guns out there that would kill for that opportunity.
    I wish him well.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Surely he would have been better off grinding it out while looking for something else but it looks like he`s burned those bridges.
    There`s loads of young guns out there that would kill for that opportunity.
    I wish him well.
    Trust me - he stayed far longer than anyone could have expected him to...

  8. #8
    I appreciate that he may not want it broadcast and it probably isn't your place to tell anyway, but any new employer is going to want to know what caused him to abandon ship in the first month of the pheasant season and will want to be more than convinced that the same won't happen again. I suspect that most estates/shoots won't be looking to employ at this stage in the season either.

    He may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I fear, at least in the short term an uphill struggle for him.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I appreciate that he may not want it broadcast and it probably isn't your place to tell anyway, but any new employer is going to want to know what caused him to abandon ship in the first month of the pheasant season and will want to be more than convinced that the same won't happen again. I suspect that most estates/shoots won't be looking to employ at this stage in the season either.

    He may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I fear, at least in the short term an uphill struggle for him.
    Although I agree with you, I don't think it would take him very long to give a very convincing explanation as to why he left...

  10. #10
    There has been a job posted on guns on pegs today,

    http://www.gunsonpegs.com/shooting/classified/filter.php?id=9449

    hope that helps?

    Nathan

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Although I agree with you, I don't think it would take him very long to give a very convincing explanation as to why he left...

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Need A Keeper?
    By Paddy_SP in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-10-2013, 15:15
  2. Keeper for a day
    By Fireman sam in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-09-2012, 09:03
  3. Keeper's pay.
    By Moonraker68 in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 16-01-2012, 07:19
  4. the game keeper
    By mo in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 17:46
  5. the keeper
    By the keeper in forum Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-03-2010, 13:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •