Thread: GPS tracking app for android phone

GPS tracking app for android phone

Hi, a guest that I used to take out had an app for his iPhone that tracked and plotted our route, anyone have anything similar for android phones that they can recommend? Ideally it wants to be free as I don't have an account to buy apps. Thanks, Glyn.

G4EMA I think it's called

G4EMA I've got and isn't free(unless thats changed). I use mapmyrun for (funnily enough) running but it can be used for walking cycling etc. It will show route, distance, time, split time and also elevation and best of all its free and you can log into the website and view and share routes etc. It would be perfect for tracking a stalk, but unlike G4EMA you can't plot shots or species, however, with practice I'm sure you could use the split distance function to show where you stopped etc.

My tracks, gives route you have taken, average speed, stops etc

Backcountry navigator works well for me as well as a good number of other hunters I know. Trial version is free, but full version will cost a couple of quid. It can be used without cellphone coverage, and if you put phone into Airplane mode, its not bad on battery either. Full topo (OS ) maps which are essential here.
    I only use mine as a back up to garmin 62s though.

Glyn, any of the running or cycling apps will work just as well and a lot if them are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo61 View Post
    Backcountry navigator works well for me as well as a good number of other hunters I know. Trial version is free, but full version will cost a couple of quid. It can be used without cellphone coverage, and if you put phone into Airplane mode, its not bad on battery either. Full topo (OS ) maps which are essential here.
    I only use mine as a back up to garmin 62s though.
    If you put the phone on airplane mode, it will not use GPS. At least for iphones anyway. And if it isn't use GPS, the tracking is not accurate.