Winchester 243 55grn ballistic silvertips

Teddyst

Bought some of these the other day thought they would be a great foxing bullet can't get them to hit a target at 80 yards! Anyone got any experience with them? Firing them through a sako 85 stainless synthetic

Bought some of these the other day thought they would be a great foxing bullet can't get them to hit a target at 80 yards! Anyone got any experience with them? Firing them through a sako 85 stainless synthetic
first of all
is the rifle zeroed from the last ammo used ??
how big is the target your trying to hit ?
does the rifle shoot with your previous ammo ??
what was your previous ammo as if it was heavy your 55s will be shooting miles high
also have you deep cleaned your barrel as the bullets you are now using are Lubelox coated

Last edited:
Hi,
was using 8grn federal soft points have gone back to them and they are very accurate but I was using a big target the side of a old box, fiddled with the silver tips a few times but they are very fast and cause the rifle to warm up quickly, would the rifle just be sending them incredibly high then?

Cheers

​Teddy

Hi,
was using 8grn federal soft points have gone back to them and they are very accurate but I was using a big target the side of a old box, fiddled with the silver tips a few times but they are very fast and cause the rifle to warm up quickly, would the rifle just be sending them incredibly high then?

Cheers]

its higher due to the amount of powder pushing them,take your scope down 4 inch put a bigger board out so you can see the strike,but first of all clean your barrel properly as the crud and copper inside it will ripp the coating off the bullets
then do a bit of reading on ballistics and the effects of bullet weights

Last edited:
Cheers will clean the rifle properly and have another go! They look like they really don't drop much at all at a long range! Thought they would be great at foxes at a bit of range!

Cheers will clean the rifle properly and have another go! They look like they really don't drop much at all at a long range! Thought they would be great at foxes at a bit of range!

once you have cleaned the gun and I do mean clean it,set the zero at 200 yards

After you've given the barrel a deep clean I'd go back to basics and start at 25m and go from there... at least they should be on the target, you're looking to be around an inch below your point of aim.

I tried a box of 53grn Norma and, luckily, they were the same POI as my home-loaded 70grn Nosler BalTips at 100m.

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Back