Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring info for light force roof lamp??????

Wiring info for light force roof lamp??????

My mate has given me a roof lamp with two sets of 2 wires on it

appears to be 2 external wires and 2 internal wires

anyone know the wiring set up for this as the guy who gave me the lamp can't remember

​thanks

Best post up some pics for clarity, should be easier to help you out then !

2 external go to the lamp. two internal go to a power source. like your battery. tlhen u can use the switch on the handle
    Last edited by waldini; 14-10-2013 at 19:23.
    up and at um

Mine are red and black wires, red positive - black earth. Wire it direct onto the battery and have an inline fuse on the positive wire

​Al

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Attachment 33527
    Quote Originally Posted by waldini View Post
    2 external go to the lamp. two internal go to a power source. like your interior light. then u can use the switch on the handle

the circle needs extending to the power source ie: battery with a fuse in line with a rating of 7.5 amps

the square is where you connect the lamp no fuse needed here.

bob

WARNING:

i would advise against using the interior light for the power source, a 100 amp lamp draws just under 10 amps on start up and will draw close to 8 amps when run for for a short time.

the wiring in the interior light in a car is rated about 3 amps..............so this could lead to a fire/short circuit in the car wiring.

one of my shooting buddies ran his 170 from the interior lamp and melted the roof lining and the wire in the roof lining all melted down past the window pillar in his l200.

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 14-10-2013 at 19:19.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Go straight to the battery and put a fuse in it. That way it can be operated all the time.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

If you know what you are doing run it of the fuse board there will be spare slots to run spot lamps or other ancillaries just need to put the right blade fuse in no need for in line fuse then.
    If not pay a auto electrician better than setting you vehicle on fire if you get it wrong and have a short.
    Last edited by dave 67; 14-10-2013 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    Go straight to the battery and put a fuse in it. That way it can be operated all the time.
    If you do go down this route put your inline fuse as close to the battery as possible that way if you get a short due to a bad cable run causing chaffing then you will be ok, if you put the fuse near to the lamp and your short is between fuse and battery you will run the risk of melting the cable at best and a nice fire at worst.
    If your not sure as i said in my other post pay to get it done right.

I have a question .... Why bother roof mounting a lamp ?? In my experiance it's no easier to use , looks crap and is an instant advert to antis as to what you are doing with your evenings , I just can't see why people roof mount them
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Attachment 33527

WARNING:

i would advise against using the interior light for the power source, a 100 amp lamp draws just under 10 amps on start up and will draw close to 8 amps when run for for a short time.

the wiring in the interior light in a car is rated about 3 amps..............so this could lead to a fire/short circuit in the car wiring.

one of my shooting buddies ran his 170 from the interior lamp and melted the roof lining and the wire in the roof lining all melted down past the window pillar in his l200.

bob.

To true bob, a common mistake, thats why I would have to agree with Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Mine are red and black wires, red positive - black earth. Wire it direct onto the battery and have an inline fuse on the positive wire

​Al

Rgds Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 14-10-2013 at 22:33.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"