federal premium 85 grain

monarman

A friend and mentor of mine being stuck in his ways will only use federal premium 85grain hollow point factory ammo in his 243 and as federal have discontinued this round I was wondering if anyone knows o any gunshops or dealers who have or can source this ammo?
I will try and persuade him to try other stuff but hell might freeze over in the meantime!!!
any help appreciated.

cheers

mm.
​He's not a great mentor if he can't adapt to simple challenges like this. Sako 90gr and RWS 96gr are two alternatives that spring to mind. Other folk will undoubtedly chime in with other options which will work equally well.
Best regards
JCS

with all due respect.. he is a great mentor!!!!!
I have extensive experience with the 243 having tried many different bullet weights and styles, and as I homeload it was an easy task. He doesn't homeload as he is busy killing deer and foxes with the ammo that his rifle shoots extremely well and has excellent effect killing his quarry and with which he is extremely confident in.
So if he can continue using the same ammo for as long as possible then he will, as would I and no doubt many others who'd rather crack on shooting deer.
My post was asking if anyone can source the ammo he uses, if /when it comes to the crunch and he has to change I should think he'll go five grains either way.
regards
monar

Hi monarman.
Would your Mentor allow you to buy the sierra 85 grain bullet he is using and let you reload for him? I am sure you could duplicate his load with a little work.
Just a thought.

Yorkie.

save his brass, buy some 85grn hp bullets, reload them and put them in a federal box.... the old duffer will never know :D

funny you guys should mention the reloading...... that has crossed my mind actually and may prove cheaper in the long run because at nearly 30 quid a box which hes paying now itll buy plenty of components

JCS, Sako 90gr and RWS 96gr are two alternatives that spring to mind. Other folk will undoubtedly chime in with other options which will work equally well.

good factory ammo but as you say its easy to find something to move over too ! should he only wish to use factory and if its the 85hp. bullet then go with reload useing sierra's 85hps
that's my choice of pill aswell but ill jump quick if needed . after all its only a tool to get the job done in the correct manner.

A friend and mentor of mine being stuck in his ways will only use federal premium 85grain hollow point factory ammo in his 243

Can understand the attraction as first CF ammo I purchased and used to shoot a red with. Knew no beter and FC Ranger didn't seem to mind even when leaving dinnerplate sized exit wounds.

Happy days.

K

I shoot with a fellow who,quite literally, stopped shooting for half a year because Varget was the "only" powder he would use in his 308 and he couldn't get it. He finally relented and tried IMR 4064.

Now he won't use anything else. Funny how that works. :rolleyes: ~Muir

I shoot with a fellow who, quite literally, stopped shooting for half a year because Varget was the "only" powder he would use. :rolleyes: ~Muir

Missed out on the most recent UK shipment and not sure when the next is due so ...................................................................:(

K
:cry:

funny you guys should mention the reloading...... that has crossed my mind actually and may prove cheaper in the long run because at nearly 30 quid a box which hes paying now itll buy plenty of components

I think it would be a nice thing to do for the Lad. He will have a right grin on him too if he is a Yorkshire Man and he is saving a few Bob :D.

Yorkie.

If it`s discontinued how can he source any?

That's why I've asked the question! to see if anyone knows where there are any!! some dealers might have some as they are expensive and not everyone is prepared to pay nearly 30 quid for a box of 243s.

Could you send it by Priority Air-Mail in 5oz increments please??

I did grab 400 rounds of 35g V-Max as suggested and going back for more this weekend so not a totally wasted trip.

K

Missed out on the most recent UK shipment and not sure when the next is due so ...................................................................:(

K
:cry:

Try Andy Hobbs at Midsomer Norton, he has it on the shelf according to my mate on Friday.

Back