Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger No1 eye relief problem sorted with Conetrol

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Ruger No1 eye relief problem sorted with Conetrol

Some of you may remember some of my posts relating to a Ruger No1 that I bought a while ago.
    For those of you that don't, they are absolute buggers to get the correct eye relief on.
    Well after a little bit of money having been wasted I finally got lucky and found a kindly gentleman in the USA who was selling a brand new Conetrol set of mounts and rings for a Ruger No1 and was willing to sell them to me for £85-00 delivered.
    Well I took the chance and they arrived today. And look how fantastic they actually are.
    Not only have these mounts managed to move the scope back a significant amount but they have moved the scope as close to the barrel as is possible.
    I have made up a preliminary batch of rounds and will zero in the next few days.
    The next questions is should I fit a mod? Will it ruin the look of the rifle? and if I do fit one who makes the smallest and lightest mod out there?
    Last edited by teyhan1; 14-10-2013 at 20:20. Reason: In focus photo
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

SD Regular
    Nice G - and they came really quickly. Since you've got your cheekpiece on, you may as well go for the mod as well - if lots of money then Lawrence, if not ATEC CMM or Maxim - what calibre is this again?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Blog Entries
    .257 Roberts
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Some of you may remember some of my posts relating to a Ruger No1 that I bought a while ago.
    For those of you that don't, they are absolute buggers to get the correct eye relief on.
    Well after a little bit of money having been wasted I finally got lucky and found a kindly gentleman in the USA who was selling a brand new Conetrol set of mounts and rings for a Ruger No1 and was willing to sell them to me for £85-00 delivered.
    Well I took the chance and they arrived today. And look how fantastic they actually are.
    Not only have these mounts managed to move the scope back a significant amount but they have moved the scope as close to the barrel as is possible.
    I have made up a preliminary batch of rounds and will zero in the next few days.
    The next questions is should I fit a mod? Will it ruin the look of the rifle? and if I do fit one who makes the smallest and lightest mod out there?
    Praise be to the Lord and the man from Texas!

K

Conetrol are a nice product and nice to see them still about.

BUT - you've not fitted a 30mm tube 56mm plus objective scope in the range 15-35x with 343 stage illumination, ballistic ranging turrets and a cammo paint job..... not using it for deer stalking then?

​You just have to love the smooth lines of those rings.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

IMHO fitting a moderator will ruin the balance of your rifle not to mention what it will do for the looks.

Ps: This is a good example of how important it can be to give as much thought to a scope’s dimensional properties as image quality if wishing to achieve ideal eye relief.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    IMHO fitting a moderator will ruin the balance of your rifle not to mention what it will do for the looks.
    Yes I know, but after having used a mod for so long, it seems bloody loud.
    Does nobody produce a really small mod that could dim it just a bit? I'm not looking for a full blown mod just something to help with a small reduction.

I also apologise profusely for not fitting the latest Rangefindingsupermegawoppercanseeafliesdickat1000y ds scope. The main reason being that the scope would be far too long having fitted all that writing onto it. Might help sorting eye relief though

I also apologise profusely for not fitting the latest Rangefindingsupermegawoppercanseeafliesdickat1000y ds scope. The main reason being that the scope would be far too long having fitted all that writing onto it. Might help sorting eye relief though
    If that’s a reference to my comment re choice of scope its been very misread! I was in fact alluding to long-tube scopes of sensible magnification and objective diameter that might now be considered “vintage”.

K

Last edited by Klenchblaize; 16-10-2013 at 08:06.

Yes I know, but after having used a mod for so long, it seems bloody loud.
    Does nobody produce a really small mod that could dim it just a bit? I'm not looking for a full blown mod just something to help with a small reduction.

That's what ear defenders are for .

As for scopes well the newer types all seem to have gone for short tubes. probably following the short action fad . It's not only on the Ruger No1 that eye relief becomes a problem with these modern short body tubed scopes. yet again it just shows that new is not always better.