Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Dangwerous .17 HMR rounds? Still a problem?

  1. #1

    Dangwerous .17 HMR rounds? Still a problem?

    We had a Hornady round semi misfire and stick in the barrel last night. Luckily the next round didn't chamber properly which alerted us, and we realised that the sound had been odd, which can easily be missed with a mod on shooting quickly in the dark from a vehicle with the engine running. This does not seem to be as unusual as it should be. Does anybody know if anything is being done about it, and what would happen if a second bullet was fired with the first up the spout? Cheers ,Todhunter

  2. #2
    Bad rifle drill !!
    All strange discharges should investigated, every round has the chance of being a Squib. No one can say what WOULD happen if you had fired a second shot up a blocked barrel, but we can guess at the very least a blown barrel, at worst you would not be asking because the bolt could have been forced through your skull killing you !

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    but we can guess at the very least a blown barrel, at worst you would not be asking because the bolt could have been forced through your skull killing you !
    Whilst not dismissing your bad rifle drill comment you are, in the case of a 17hmr, being a tad over dramatic.
    I would say blowback around the bolt forcing the mag out, gasses forcing the first head out of the barrel, the likelihood of second head staying in the barrel and no damage to the barrel

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Whilst not dismissing your bad rifle drill comment you are, in the case of a 17hmr, being a tad over dramatic.
    I would say blowback around the bolt forcing the mag out, gasses forcing the first head out of the barrel, the likelihood of second head staying in the barrel and no damage to the barrel
    Thats about right, and it has happened many times over the last few years, HMR ammo is not what it should be.
    Worse is nothing much seems to have been done about it, perhaps it's just cheaper to replace a few rifles, as upto now I don't think anybody has been injured.
    When it first started happening in the USA it was all blamed on semi auto hmr rifles, seems that may not have been the case.
    All I can say is my HMR was sold when new ammo I bought was faulty, nothing happened to me or the rifle, just a few fail to fires and then a squib round, pushed it out with a rod without issue and never used it again.
    Can't say I have missed it either.

    Neil.

  5. #5
    Neil,
    I had 1 misfire and 1 squib over about a thousand rounds.
    Both were recent so at the top end of the thousand
    I checked all my stock (2x 50 rounds), found about 10% neck splits, took the boxes back to the RFD and they were exchanged.
    Still got the 17, use it sometimes, (however more recently the 22 has found favour), but now I always check each box of 17 ammunition I buy
    R

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Neil,
    I had 1 misfire and 1 squib over about a thousand rounds.
    Both were recent so at the top end of the thousand
    I checked all my stock (2x 50 rounds), found about 10% neck splits, took the boxes back to the RFD and they were exchanged.
    Still got the 17, use it sometimes, (however more recently the 22 has found favour), but now I always check each box of 17 ammunition I buy
    R
    Same here for the .22lr.
    The hornet has replaced the hmr, faster, flatter and far more punch, and no deared to load for than hmr ammo costs.
    As for checking the ammo, good idea, actually essential these days, but it shouldn't be necessary


    Neil.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Todhunter View Post
    We had a Hornady round semi misfire and stick in the barrel last night. Luckily the next round didn't chamber properly which alerted us, and we realised that the sound had been odd, which can easily be missed with a mod on shooting quickly in the dark from a vehicle with the engine running. This does not seem to be as unusual as it should be. Does anybody know if anything is being done about it, and what would happen if a second bullet was fired with the first up the spout? Cheers ,Todhunter
    had the exact same thing last week , bullet head stuck in barrel and bent a rod trying to tap it out , told my rfd about it and he replied they have had issues with blue tipped rounds , take them back and they will be replaced with red tipped ( which apparantly are fine ) , still havent got it out of barrel yet !

  8. #8
    Funnily enough I used many thousands of Blue tip without issue, it was when I came to buy more and
    had to go for the red tips my troubles started.

    Neil.

  9. #9
    From personal experience it blows the gun apart , bolt toast , barrel floppy in receiver and magazine blown on cab roof
    Will make you jump or worse

    be careful or lucky

    It was a .17 hmr

    Dodge

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge1942 View Post
    From personal experience it blows the gun apart , bolt toast , barrel floppy in receiver and magazine blown on cab roof
    Will make you jump or worse

    be careful or lucky

    It was a .17 hmr

    Dodge
    "blowback around the bolt forcing the mag out, gasses forcing the first head out of the barrel, the likelihood of second head staying in the barrel and no damage to the barrel"

    Not doubting what you post but I was beside this one when it hapened and the rifle is still going strong - infact the guy was using last week when we were out lamping

Similar Threads

  1. .17 hmr rounds again
    By woodfordfallow in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 09:54
  2. Anschutz hmr problem
    By whinfell in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 20:44
  3. Gun Problem - Exploded round, inside .17 HMR gun ???
    By woodfordfallow in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 28-05-2012, 08:32
  4. For Sale 400 rounds of HMR ammo
    By kernel gadaffi in forum Reloading
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-02-2012, 14:45
  5. hmr winchester rounds
    By ksb in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 18:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •